Duck, leg injury, urgent help needed

The dosage will vary accordingly to age, currently, we go, 1/4ml for ducklings that are between one to seven days old, 1/2ml for ducklings that are one week to two weeks, anything above that will be 1ml, this is once a day, although if you have a hard time getting the complex into the duckling you can split the dosage in half and give some in the morning and evening. The effects of giving too much vitamin B are somewhat limited, it does seem, however, that you would need to give a large amount to the duck for it to have a damaging effect.

This is a quote from John Metzer

"We have been asked if it is possible to overdose on niacin. Because of how small the amount is, it is easy to think you can give your birds too much. The answer is that you would need a lot to overdose. We don't have an exact amount to point towards, but humans can overdose on niacin and that can cause bowel problems. If your birds start having digestive issues, then it's a possibility, but is unlikely."

We recommend for novice duck keepers to give them the complex over treats, to reduce the risk of aspiration if given orally with a syringe. Duck seems to enjoy mealworms, peas, lettuce, tomatoes the most, it can also be mixed into a wet soupy feed. The reason we recommend not giving it in water is most of the time ducks spill around half of the water, so it makes it hard to calculate the dosage, and birds that are in poor condition may not be able to get around to drink often. If your bird is not able to get around or is so debilitated, you may need to administer orally with a syringe/eyedropper, the easiest and safest way I have found is to drop the B complex onto the side of their bill, the sensation of the water droplets often will make them drink the liquid, another technique is to dip their bill for a short second in some of the liquid. If this doesn't work you may need to stick the syringe in their mouth, I will provide an article on the bottom on how to do that correctly.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

The dosage will vary accordingly to age, currently, we go, 1/4ml for ducklings that are between one to seven days old, 1/2ml for ducklings that are one week to two weeks, anything above that will be 1ml, this is once a day, although if you have a hard time getting the complex into the duckling you can split the dosage in half and give some in the morning and evening. The effects of giving too much vitamin B are somewhat limited, it does seem, however, that you would need to give a large amount to the duck for it to have a damaging effect.

This is a quote from John Metzer

"We have been asked if it is possible to overdose on niacin. Because of how small the amount is, it is easy to think you can give your birds too much. The answer is that you would need a lot to overdose. We don't have an exact amount to point towards, but humans can overdose on niacin and that can cause bowel problems. If your birds start having digestive issues, then it's a possibility, but is unlikely."

We recommend for novice duck keepers to give them the complex over treats, to reduce the risk of aspiration if given orally with a syringe. Duck seems to enjoy mealworms, peas, lettuce, tomatoes the most, it can also be mixed into a wet soupy feed. The reason we recommend not giving it in water is most of the time ducks spill around half of the water, so it makes it hard to calculate the dosage, and birds that are in poor condition may not be able to get around to drink often. If your bird is not able to get around or is so debilitated, you may need to administer orally with a syringe/eyedropper, the easiest and safest way I have found is to drop the B complex onto the side of their bill, the sensation of the water droplets often will make them drink the liquid, another technique is to dip their bill for a short second in some of the liquid. If this doesn't work you may need to stick the syringe in their mouth, I will provide an article on the bottom on how to do that correctly.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
Awesome, thank you so much for all your insight! I've been in contact with the poultry science division at MSU who put me in contact with a poultry vet fairly close to our area, so miss Beverly has herself an appointment at 6pm tonight and we're hopeful for some good news. I ordered the other B complex & it will be here tomorrow. As an update, last night she pushed herself up fully & took two steps!!! First time in 4wks! GO BEV!!! 😄 wish us luck! You guys are awesome & I appreciate all the info so much!!

Well guys, it's with the heaviest of hearts I have to say Bev is no longer with us 😢 poor girl. She gave it her all & I just couldn't watch her struggle any more. Our 1st trip to the vet we found that there were no breaks or slipped tendons in her legs at all. For some reason all her joints in her legs were locked up. We tried B3 injections, vitamin E selenium injections, oral supplements, physical therapy & pain medication. We did see initial improvement the 1st two days after injections but she never made it past walking on her hocks. Poor thing was beating herself up trying to get around & her wings were getting raw on the bottom from her efforts at being mobile. Yesterday she just got really down & didn't eat or drink so I made the tough call to end her suffering last night. The Dr agreed and I trust his judgement, he specializes in poultry science & chalked it up to bad genetics. He said she only had about a 10% chance at coming as far as she did & she gave it her all until she was ready to give up 😢 Feeling kinda lost right now as I'd usually be getting her ready for tub time & breakfast, lol. She's sure been my sidekick for the last 6wks! But im relieved to know she's not suffering and WOW have I learned a lot about ducks in the last couple months!! I am SO grateful for all your advice & help! It is greatly appreciated 💓 Now I can post happy things, like the crazy antics of the rest of my flock.
FLY HIGH, BEVERLY! 🦆💓

Sorry to hear about Beverly! :hugs I'd love to see some more pictures of your other ducks.
Thanks Isaac 0, I'm pretty busted up about it this morning 💔 we got awful attached to each other. Check this out though, the vet made it for me & I think it's just the sweetest. I am very grateful, at least, to have found these awesome people with huge hearts along our journey! Check out the pic below. I'll get some shots of the rest of my naughties today so I can introduce them, lol. Thanks again

Attachments

• 20200609_070224.jpg
    20200609_070224.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom