Duck lies down all the time and can't walk/run as fast as others

janedeaux88

Hatching
Apr 24, 2022
Hi! This is my first post, and I'm new to raising ducks. We have a flock of 6 Pekin that we have raised from little babies. They're about 8-9 weeks old now, and in the past week or so, we've gradually started letting them free-roam around our huge pond. They're up to about 2-3 hours a day of pond play.

I've noticed since very early days that one of the ducks lies down all the time. They all stick right together everywhere they go, but this one is always in the back of the pack, walking/running slower than the rest, and he/she will even lie down and take a break when the others are walking/running. He/she also doesn't go into the water as much as the others - he/she prefers to lie down on the bank. There's nothing obviously wrong with the legs or feet, and this one is not a ton fatter than the others or anything like that. They all get along great, so it doesn't seem to be a social issue, either.

Has anyone ever experienced this and it ended up being a healthy adult duck? We protect them pretty well from predators, but I'm worried this one will be the first to go if something gets after them, since he or she is slower/lazier than the rest :(

A video of the duck moving would be helpful. To post a video, you must first upload it to another site, like Vimeo or you tube, and then you can post it here.

It sounds like a possible injury. Pekin are more likely to get leg injuries and bumble foot than other breeds. Also, if they get injured, it takes longer to heal, both due to their larger size. An injury is not always easy to see, other than issues with walking. I would take a picture of the ducks legs and feet and the bottom of the feet. Also feel the ducks legs. Do they feel warm? This is a sign of an injury and inflammation.

Back
Top Bottom