Duck Limping- SOS

TrudysMom

Hatching
Nov 16, 2021
Hi All
This is my first time posting. I am also a first time duck owner so I am most definitely learning as I go. Last week I noticed Trudy, my female Pekin duck, limping. I can't seem to find any injury, object, etc on her foot or leg. She's been in "duck jail" for the past 3 days, which is just an area in their coop that I have marked off with chicken wire. Today, I let her out of duck jail and her limping wasn't as prominent. Then, her little boyfriend (my male Pekin) stood on top of her I'm assuming in an effort to do his business and it made the limping worse again. I am going to continue to keep her separate from him but is there anything else that anyone recommends to help with her limping? Sometimes she will lose her balance and have to kind of help herself up with her wing. Is this normal during limping? Also, if I have to take her to the vet how in the world do I go about it? LOL. Don't hate me for my ignorance I am so desperate to learn. Trudy is literally the best pet and I want her to be better!

:welcome Best way to transport is in a dog crate with a towel on the floor and extra towels along in case of accidents. Or a large box with windows cut in the sides for fresh air since you may have to tape the top flaps closed. I use a dog crate since they have handles for carrying.
Have you looked at the bottom of her foot for bumble foot?
How old is Trudy and has she ever been given niacin for leg support?
Good idea to keep her penned the way you have her so she can see her flock mates but can't be stood on. It can take a while for an injury to heal so keep up with what your doing and add some liquid B complex to her daily supplements. TSC carries one called Durvet Liquid B Complex it will say injectable but we use it orally. Just pull out 1 ml and give it to her over a small amount of some kind of treat she really likes. It could be if you don't see bumble or an injury she maybe deficient in niacin which can cause lameness.
What do you feed them including treats?

:welcome Best way to transport is in a dog crate with a towel on the floor and extra towels along in case of accidents. Or a large box with windows cut in the sides for fresh air since you may have to tape the top flaps closed. I use a dog crate since they have handles for carrying.
Have you looked at the bottom of her foot for bumble foot?
How old is Trudy and has she ever been given niacin for leg support?
Good idea to keep her penned the way you have her so she can see her flock mates but can't be stood on. It can take a while for an injury to heal so keep up with what your doing and add some liquid B complex to her daily supplements. TSC carries one called Durvet Liquid B Complex it will say injectable but we use it orally. Just pull out 1 ml and give it to her over a small amount of some kind of treat she really likes. It could be if you don't see bumble or an injury she maybe deficient in niacin which can cause lameness.
What do you feed them including treats?
Ok, I will have to try to find that supplement. She loves peas. That's mostly what I feed her and sometimes dried mealworms. I am almost out of feed so I will pick one that has niacin in it. I've read about various ones. Is there any feed that you recommend?

A duck or waterfowl specific feed if you don't have other poultry and if you do they are separated. Being other poultry should probably not eat feed specifically for waterfowl. Purina has a feed for waterfowl and so does Mazuri. Purina you can find at TSC Mazuri I believe you have to order. You can also add Nutritional yeast to their food, But when one is already having issues the Liquid B Complex is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom