Duck looking rugged from cold

Hey there!

I live in northern Wisconsin and we are finally moving out of the cold spell and I need some advice.
It was incredibly hard cleaning the duck house in -30 (I had to use an ice pick) and their kitty pool was frozen through and through so my ducks could only slightly clean themselves in their heated water bowl. As a result, a few of the girls are looking rugged. Especially around the eye area. Is there anything I can do to help them? I want them to live long and healthy lives, so seeing them like this worries me.

I couldn't get too close because my ducks are not imprinted on me

Attachments

• 20210221_145038.jpg
    20210221_145038.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 11
I couldn't get too close because my ducks are not imprinted on me

The ruggedness of the feathers is likely associated with a lack of oil distribution ( which is promoted by lack of batheing), which is allowing the water particles to penetrate into the feathers, and down resulting in a very wet look.

With the weather many of us are experiencing, it can be hard to provide a deep water source, so you may need to comprise and just provide a head deep water source so the birds can moisten their eyes, and blow debris from their nares. Once weather permits, provide full-body deep water, and hopefully, you'll see some improvement in her feather condition.

Hey there!

I live in northern Wisconsin and we are finally moving out of the cold spell and I need some advice.
It was incredibly hard cleaning the duck house in -30 (I had to use an ice pick) and their kitty pool was frozen through and through so my ducks could only slightly clean themselves in their heated water bowl. As a result, a few of the girls are looking rugged. Especially around the eye area. Is there anything I can do to help them? I want them to live long and healthy lives, so seeing them like this worries me.
I have a heater disk in my ducks pond I'm in Northern Ohio it got to single digits at night here but mine still love the heater disks there great got them off Amazon $6 each so worth it

Thank you two! I'll look into buying one of those for their duck pond. I just feel so awful seeing them like this

Thank you two! I'll look into buying one of those for their duck pond. I just feel so awful seeing them like this

If you are experiencing cold weather, you do not want them getting in full-body deep water because their feathers lack water repellency, so they can get hypothermic easily. Until warm weather allows, provide a head-deep water source.

Back
Top Bottom