Duck lost its companion

myflocklovescorn

In the Brooder
Dec 6, 2022
I had 2 ducks that i got about 6 years ago as babies, so they grew up together. We also got 2 chickens about 1.5 yrs ago that live in the same coop with them. Recently, a raccoon got into their coop and killed one of the ducks. Since then we have re-secured the coop. The other duck is quacking a lot but going about her day as normal, and the chickens are staying near her all the time now when they did their own thing before. Will my other duck die if she does not have a companion?

If she is acting normal and the chickens are staying close by she may be okay. But ducks really do like to be around other ducks. My gander of 14 yrs died back in Feb of this year his mate of 10 yrs was upset and so was I but I put my goose in with my Runners and Buffs and chickens and she has really done well. She pretty much hangs around close to the Muscovy during the day but goes in with the others at night.

I am so sorry for your loss. Great to hear you have resecured your coop because raccoons will come back for more if they got rewarded with their first attempt.

As you have a female duck and she is well integrated with your chickens to the point htat the chickens are staying close now that the duck is bereaved, I woudl say the omens are good for your duck to be OK living on her own with the chickens.

But I am sure she would prefer ducky company!!! If you can get two more female ducks, that would be great so that if one should pass away, you still have two ducks to keep each other company. You need not ruch into this as your duck is currentlyOK with the chickens. But come spring, if you acquire two more female ducks, I think your surviving duck would thank you!

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like your duck is OK for now with the companion chickens. That's good. I never see ducks by themselves in the wild, so I hope someday you can get a duck companion for her. I don't think she will die of loneliness, but suspect she will be happier if/when you get another duck in the flock.

Always good to hear that you have added more security to your setup to prevent a future predator attack. Hope it holds.

Back
Top Bottom