Duck may have dislocated leg?! What do I do?

MarianneLucia

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2017
Hi all, I have been coming here to learn all about our new ducks and it has been great but one has now been injured. I'm so worried about her. She couldn't put weight on it yesterday and today she can limp. I gave her a bath. She eats and drinks but her leg is turned out! She is sort of "stamping it" and quacked a lot last night but is calm today. What should I do? She is 6 weeks old. I had them in the garden with with me yesterday. I went in to use the washroom and when I returned, she was in a cardboard box and couldn't walk. I suspect my 3 year old child was trying to tend to her and may have accidentally dislocated her hip? Someone please help!

Attachments

• 20170611_095705.jpg
    20170611_095705.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 617
Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! Never seen that before. A vet is the best choice, but if you don't want to spend the money, you could try treating it yourself. If it's not fixed soon, I'm afraid the prognosis is grim.

I understand:)

I just don't know how to fix it...

@Miss Lydia @casportpony @Eggcessive @Ravynscroft ? Anyone know?

Do your best to keep her hydrated and eating. It may be out of socket? But I would be scared to try to manipulate it back in - can she move?
Yes she can move and is eating and drinking and even swimming. I don't know how to manipulate it and it makes me shiver just to look at it. She seems to be feeling more comfortable today than yesterday...she is limping on it whereas yesterday she couldn't even get up

Back
Top Bottom