Duck missing feathers on lower back and skin turning green

Competitive breeding becomes a habit that is difficult to break. Once a target is picked they rarely change their behavior.
She just laid her first egg last night and is the only hen that has laid any. Do you think that the drakes could target her becauseof this? When the other hens get to sexual maturity do you think they will not compete over this one?

Until she heals you might want to figure out a way to separate the injured duck with a female friend. I have a situation with female ducks where one has her feathers pulled and I am having to keep them apart unless I supervise. It's a hassle but it's the only way for me to protect her for now
My other females appear to be picking at her as well, I have been taking her out and supervising her for about 2 hours a day, however I suppose I could put another female in with her.

I also have a small area cordoned off in the coop with lattice so she can still see and hear and interact with the other ducks. Do you think she is okay in there alone? Or do you think I should expand the area and add a female friend in there with her

Maybe you should observe her and see how she reacts. She will quack or appear anxious if she's feeling lonely, and in that case you can add the female that seems least likely to pick at her and observe to see how that goes.

Back
Top Bottom