Duck missing feathers on lower back and skin turning green

Ratsarefake

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2020
So I have a 3ish month old duck and she is at the age where they are starting to mate.i have a few other ducks and 2 drakes. 1 pekin drake and 1 mallard drake. They all have access to a pool and are free range. There are 2 pools and they get in both and mount each other and when they swim the other ducks bite her feathers in that same exact spot and pull feathers out. I cant seem to find anything other than the possibility that she is molting.

I let them out of the coop today and her skin has begun to turn green.

I would appreciate any help.

Attachments

• 20210120_071423.jpg
    20210120_071423.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 20210119_174741.jpg
    20210119_174741.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 34
The green pigmentation should be considered bruising due to biliverdin breakdown in the tissue. There doesn't appear to be a break in the skin, but she may benefit from an application of an antibacterial ointment, or poultry spray for the next couple of days.

The drakes are causing the feather loss, therefore she either needs to be separated or you need to get rid of the problem drake.

The green pigmentation should be considered bruising due to biliverdin breakdown in the tissue. There doesn't appear to be a break in the skin, but she may benefit from an application of an antibacterial ointment, or poultry spray for the next couple of days.

The drakes are causing the feather loss, therefore she either needs to be separated or you need to get rid of the problem drake.
I have had her separated since yesterday during the day and at night I got some lattice and fenced off a little area in the coop for her to sleep in where she is isolated. There are 2 pekin 2 rouen and 2 mallards. The other pekin drake did it to her I believe, but none of the other ducks have anything like this. The pekins are the oldest by about 2 weeks and I believe she is the only sexually mature duck. Do you think once the other 3 are mature the drakes will calm down or do you think i should get 2 more ducks so that there is a 3:1 duck to drake ratio?

I have had her separated since yesterday during the day and at night I got some lattice and fenced off a little area in the coop for her to sleep in where she is isolated. There are 2 pekin 2 rouen and 2 mallards. The other pekin drake did it to her I believe, but none of the other ducks have anything like this. The pekins are the oldest by about 2 weeks and I believe she is the only sexually mature duck. Do you think once the other 3 are mature the drakes will calm down or do you think i should get 2 more ducks so that there is a 3:1 duck to drake ratio?
Even at a 3:1 ratio... since there are 2 drakes, there will be a tendency to overbreed since the drakes will be competing.

With a HUGE run and coop it can work, but space is super important to make it work.

5 females to one single only male... is much more likely to be peaceful.

Did you separate all the females from the males? She will need company and there won't be enough females for the males if you take her out.

Well there is 1 coop for them, but they are free range during the day. They have about 32,000 square feet to roam, but even then all 6 of them tend to stick together. I also have 4 chickens all hens that have a separate coop. The 2 pekins are the oldest and the hen that I posted the pictures of laid her first egg last night.

Until she heals you might want to figure out a way to separate the injured duck with a female friend. I have a situation with female ducks where one has her feathers pulled and I am having to keep them apart unless I supervise. It's a hassle but it's the only way for me to protect her for now

Did you separate all the females from the males? She will need company and there won't be enough females for the males if you take her out.
No I put her in the bottom run of the coop. Its a small area. But the other ducks come and sleep next to her. The ducks have also been picking at her feathers, so I figured it'd be best to isolate her.

Back
Top Bottom