Duck Momma Looking to Expand to Chickens

cmanderson13

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2018
Hello,

The husband and I currently have a small duck family of 7 in SE Ohio. We started on a complete whim (it was the hubby's idea of a pet alternative to a dog and we wanted to start getting our own eggs) and bought 2 straight run Pekins that turned out to both be drakes. On an even greater whim we added 2 straight run Rouens and ended up with a pair (we've since lost the hen). Since we wanted eggs, we bit the bullet and ordered some sexed hens from Metzer and got 2 more Pekins and 2 Cayugas.

We've been talking since shortly after we got the first ducks about getting some chickens as well but we didn't want to bite off more than we could chew at first. Now, we're seriously discussing it again but we want to be a little more prepared this time hence me joining this forum finally. It's been a great resource for me to pop in and look around when I needed a quick answer about something with our ducks but now I think I'll be looking for a lot more advice, especially about coops.

Hi and welcome to BYC

Here’s a good link where you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Best wishes
Pork Pie

G’Day from down under cmanderson…. :frow Welcome!

I am pleased you delurked and hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your ducks or chickens when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom