Duck 'n goose house advice

Ruralhideaway

Crowing
6 Years
Sep 21, 2017
Upstate NY
So I've searched, no real luck on exactly what I need.

I'm adding a house to my set up. The waterfowl will have a small run of their own plus access to a winter covered run and other run space to share wth the chickens.

I want to house up to 5 geese and 8 small ducks. Basically just sleeping space. If I understand ducks and geese correctly they will likely choose to sleep outside mostly anyway(mine always did with the barn open for them) so I'll make their small dedicated section of the run night predator safe and with added drainage.

How much sleeping house space do I need for this arrangement? Is a low(48" high) shed off the barn wall enough? Say 36" deep 11ft wide. Divided. But with a front and doors that can be closed to block wind during winter storms at night. Possibly hinge the whole front to lift and hook back during summer?

Hopefully that made sense.

Hi,
I will pass on my understanding based off info I read by Dave Holderread. We don't have geese, so this is in regard to ducks only. Geese recommendations may differ.

If the birds are housed ONLY at night 3-6 sq ft per duck of floor space will be good enough. If housed for longer durations maybe due to poor weather, 8-15 sq ft per duck is recommended. It is recommended that the house should be at least 3 ft high, so your height should work as planned. Run space should be 10-25 sq ft per duck.

Keep in mind the cleaning of the house and run while constructing their area as ducks create a mess and I am sure geese are not much better. Best of luck and I hope you find this helpful :)

I've experienced that duck mess! Seems geese are maybe a little better. Just a bit in my recollection.

According to those numbers the house I have in mind could only house about 6 total. Hmm.

Keep in mind the range in size is due to the bird size differences. Not sure what type of ducks or geese you have, but I thought I should clarify a bit.

Geese are cleaner? Good to know! We may swap some of our ducks for geese ;)

My understanding has been roughly 4 square feet per duck (calls maybe less due to size) and 6 square feet per goose. If it's mostly just for sleeping then you can get away with less, but only maybe a foot less per bird. There may be times when every single bird is in there, so you must take that into consideration. I think most of the time a 3 sided structure is totally adequate. Since your opening will be on the long side (if I understand correctly), I'd make it so half can be closed as a good wind block on colder days, and then the full thing can be closed as needed at night or really nasty weather. Don't forget vents if the whole thing is closed up! My ducks have a 3 sided structure (lock up the 4th wall at night) and they go in and out all day. Sometimes they sleep inside in the straw, sometimes outside in the snow, but it's usually all or nothing, they do it together, so if one goes in the house, they all go in the house.

My understanding has been roughly 4 square feet per duck (calls maybe less due to size) and 6 square feet per goose. If it's mostly just for sleeping then you can get away with less, but only maybe a foot less per bird. There may be times when every single bird is in there, so you must take that into consideration. I think most of the time a 3 sided structure is totally adequate. Since your opening will be on the long side (if I understand correctly), I'd make it so half can be closed as a good wind block on colder days, and then the full thing can be closed as needed at night or really nasty weather. Don't forget vents if the whole thing is closed up! My ducks have a 3 sided structure (lock up the 4th wall at night) and they go in and out all day. Sometimes they sleep inside in the straw, sometimes outside in the snow, but it's usually all or nothing, they do it together, so if one goes in the house, they all go in the house.
Thank you all this info does help. Ideally I guess I'd like to end up with 3-4 small breed geese and maybe 5 calls. I'm accounting for maybe starting with more as likely they'll all be straight run, could need to find homes for a few if they don't all get along. We all know bird math of course so who knows. They will get lots of free range time also, there's a creek here I know they will love.

I think 33 square feet house and 80 sq feet dedicated 24 hr run is what I'll have. With day access to roofed and open run.

Back
Top Bottom