Duck Needs Help Please, I'm really Worried

Hippiegranny

Chirping
May 26, 2022
Laurelville, Ohio USA
I'm new to raising ducks and there isn't a vet around who cares for them. I've already lost one duck back in April and I don't want to lose another.
So I have a duck ,Cuddles... she/he had a jewclaw that was tore lose. So we finished cutting it off, hopefully it was the right thing to do. But Cuddles is limping on that leg. I've checked it over really good and I don't see anything and it doesn't feel like it is broke. I'm really worried and don't know what else to do. If anyone has any suggestions it would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you

Can you post a picture of the leg and foot of your duck? when did you finish taking it off and have you been treating with any type of meds topical or by mouth? Soaking in Epsom salt water ?
We finished taking it off yesterday. As far as giving her anything we haven't. I did put an antibiotic on it it yesterday afterwards. I just noticed it the day before yesterday. We haven't soaked it in Epsom salts but I did put her in the bath tub.

Attachments

• 20220527_094936~2.jpg
    20220527_094936~2.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220527_094936.jpg
    20220527_094936.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 5
How did you take it off? it looks like its swollen could be from the trauma of breaking it or there may be an infection. I'd keep up with the Epsom salt soaks then antibiotic ointment then a wrap until healed to keep nasty bacteria out unless your keeping her on very clean bedding.
When I have to soak I used a bucket and hold the duck in so they can't jump out or drink the salty water.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wrapping-feet.1255043/

How did you take it off? it looks like its swollen could be from the trauma of breaking it or there may be an infection. I'd keep up with the Epsom salt soaks then antibiotic ointment then a wrap until healed to keep nasty bacteria out unless your keeping her on very clean bedding.
When I have to soak I used a bucket and hold the duck in so they can't jump out or drink the salty water.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wrapping-feet.1255043/
We used a pair of dog clippers. It was very hanging on. We have her inside so she wasn't running around in all the mud and poo. So thank you so much for the advice and for responding. It is so greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom