Duck nesting behaviours

Jerricat

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2020
Hello, I am new to the forum and have a plethora of questions, but firstly... I had taken in several ducks last year and currently have one nesting. She had a clutch of 14, which is now down to 8 šŸ™. There is another duck that has chosen to share her nesting box with her. I wonder if it could be female thatā€™s trying to lay aswell? We have separated the known female to try to prevent her eggs from getting broken as she is housed with at least one drake, possibly 2. The duck that is trying to nest with her is very distraught after moving her box into private and trying to get to her. The other two are chasing it around. I worry about this duck. It is also missing feathers from the base of its neck on the back. Please any advice for this novice? Should I allow them to share a nest? I can supply pictures aswell. Thanks.

Welcome to BYC. It sounds as if you have too many drakes. They will harass and even injure ducks if this is the case. I would separate the drakes from the flock.

Welcome to BYC. It sounds as if you have too many drakes. They will harass and even injure ducks if this is the case. I would separate the drakes from the flock.

What do you believe is going on with the duck that has been sharing her nesting box? Could it also be female? The know female (Mo) has allowed it into her nesting box.

Does the duck quack loud or does it have a quiet raspy quack? If itā€™s a loud quack than itā€™s a female and if itā€™s a quiet raspy quack itā€™s a male.

I am attaching pictures of my ducks. I was told a couple are Muscovy. The smallest one, brown with a white stripe on her head is ā€œMoā€. She is in the lead in the video. One of the black and white ones is the one who tries to nest with her and has acted distraught since Iā€™ve separated Mo and her nest from the others. I have also found another egg broken.

Attachments

• F7BA7D23-2FE1-4577-A1B3-75FAAD6F03A0.jpeg
    F7BA7D23-2FE1-4577-A1B3-75FAAD6F03A0.jpeg
    939.2 KB · Views: 5
  • D0AECC9B-4C1D-41CF-892C-2C26613A7D56.jpeg
    D0AECC9B-4C1D-41CF-892C-2C26613A7D56.jpeg
    948.3 KB · Views: 5
I am attaching pictures of my ducks. I was told a couple are Muscovy. The smallest one, brown with a white stripe on her head is ā€œMoā€. She is in the lead in the video. One of the black and white ones is the one who tries to nest with her and has acted distraught since Iā€™ve separated Mo and her nest from the others. I have also found another egg broken.

And... the video wasnā€™t loaded.
7D40E7CC-7172-4F5E-947A-EA724CB41C91.jpeg
4A47AC86-62B2-42B9-8EDE-DE1A002ABAA5.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom