Duck nesting boxes and floating homes

AmieH

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
Beaufort SC
Hey y'all,
I raise chickens and I have a neighbor who raises ducks. His ducks maintain residency on a 1 acre semi-private pond. I say semi-private because its on a quiet street, but there is public access (though rarely ever used for fishing or other activities). He has about 20 ducks that he added to the pond and for the most part they are semi wild. They sleep for the evening along the shore line and have no permanent abode. These ducks are our community treasure. They will walk each street at specific times of the day and go exactly to where the friendly neighbors live who all eagerly wait to give them treats. With this being said, in the mornings we can find duck eggs in the water near the shore or on the shore line. I want to make them a nesting box and having absolutely no duck experience, I was hoping for a little help with this strange situation. I have spoken to the owner and he is happy with me living my carpentry dreams out and building not only nesting boxes but also a floating dock for them. I have several questions as far as cost goes, but also in making it an inviting place for them. My idea for a raft is a hardwood pallet with boards very close together and floating it on five gallon buckets that have been strapped beneath. Should I build a three wall structure (with a roof obviously) over the "raft" or will the raft suffice? My second question is if I put nesting boxes on the shore, how can I lure them to use it? As it stands now, the ducks will often lay at the pond edge, but it isn't limited to there. We find eggs in the street, in shrubbery three streets away, in front yards, on side walks... you get the idea. Its like a mini easter egg hunt daily. Sadly I seem to be one of two people who sees value in the eggs. Usually the kids find them and... well... they end up being wasted. So there it is, the story of the local duck parade. Help me out here ye wise duck owners. What is the best way to make something for these ducks AS well as encourage them to lay in a box?
Thanks in advance!

Not many ducks will lay in a "nest box" and if it's out side they risk predation if they do use one. What breed are these ducks? You could try a three sided something with some kind of bedding inside [no cedar] just as an experiment to see if you get any lookers then users. Ducks are wary of anything new so it may take a while but if one every uses it it will be the talk of the community that's for sure.

As for a floating landing with a nesting box on it that may work if you can keep it in the middle of the pond. So predators can't get to them although a lot of preds will swim.

Thank you for the information miss Lydia! There is a variety: Pekin, rouin, Swedish blue and buffs, along with about four other various breeds. I think I'll just stick to the raft for now and see if they even bother. The geese are about to invade the pond again and they likely may be too shy to bother with nesting.

Back
Top Bottom