Duck newbie needs sexing help!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by callahanfarmgirl, Jul 12, 2012.

1. callahanfarmgirl

callahanfarmgirl Chirping

Apr 4, 2011
    Callahan
    [​IMG]Can anyone tell me what this duck breed could be ( maybe just a backyard mix ) and also I have always considered him a drake because my other 3 female mallards are very quacky where s/he rarely makes a sound. But s/he is almost 6 months old and I don't see a drake feather. At least one of my 4 babies are now laying eggs, as of Sat. I have gotten an egg a day, just not sure from who.[​IMG]

2. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Songster

Feb 21, 2012
    One way to tell is by the sound of their quack. A drakes quack is much more "raspy" that the females. Also, The boys seem to take longer to get their quack although I doubt they would have it at 5 months.

3. duck brain

duck brain In the Brooder

Jul 13, 2012
    It's true: a drake sounds like he has a sore throat!
    As for the breed, I would guess a Swedish duck, but the white on the wings and face kinda throws me off as Swedish usually have white only on the breast.

4. callahanfarmgirl

callahanfarmgirl Chirping

Apr 4, 2011
    Callahan
    I think I will just consider him a swedish mix!!! Becuase of his lack of a quack I do think he is a drake!! BUT, when will he get his drake feathers???

5. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Songster

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    He may still be a full black Swedish. They have white on their wing tips and a white bib, as that guy has. I've had not-so-show-quality Swedish ducks with white on their faces like that and one even had white around her eyes!

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    If he is 6 months old now- size wise- he isnt big enough to be considered a blue swede and is the wrong kind of body shape. Where did he come from? Knowing that may help solve the puzzle of who his parents may have been. He does have a very sweet face :)

7. duck brain

duck brain In the Brooder

Jul 13, 2012
    What does he look like when he's out of the water? Like standing, I mean. If he has an upright stance he may be a runner but I'm just guessing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: