Duck not eating

Tape

Chirping
Oct 20, 2020
Greetings,

Recently, my flock of ducks was attacked by three coyotes. One of the surviving ducks took some pretty bad injury's but has been doing pretty well. The only thing that is worrying is that she is not eating. I've tried giving her lettuce, scrambled eggs, and some watery food, but she has eaten non of it. She is drinking pretty well, and I've put electrolytes in her water. Is there anything I can do for her, or will she eventually start eating again?

Greetings,

Recently, my flock of ducks was attacked by three coyotes. One of the surviving ducks took some pretty bad injury's but has been doing pretty well. The only thing that is worrying is that she is not eating. I've tried giving her lettuce, scrambled eggs, and some watery food, but she has eaten non of it. She is drinking pretty well, and I've put electrolytes in her water. Is there anything I can do for her, or will she eventually start eating again?
How long has she not been eating? If it’s not been that long she may perk up on her own. I think the adding electrolyte are good! I agree that you should look at some tube/syringe feeding options, do a lot of research before you attempt though! I have syringe fed baby chicks before and it is quite a process, but very worth it if you get to save your bird. You could also try very watery feed, my ducklings love to put feed in their water and then eat the silt like substance at the bottom of the dish. Just an idea, I am no means a expert.i hope you duckling gets better!

Today is the fourth day she has refused food. He feces is sea foam green, and she does not poop often. Here are the worst of her injury's
IMG_0171.jpg
.(this is on her neck)

Bless her heart. If she hasn't eaten in 4 days she isn't going to last much longer with out intervention.

Tube feeding is your best option
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/

feeling like there is no way I could do this is normal but honestly I just had to tube feed one of my Runners 2X a day for 7 days and it's not hard once you get the hang of it, And I'm sure it saved her life. Best person we have here to help is @casportpony

Today is the fourth day she has refused food. He feces is sea foam green, and she does not poop often. Here are the worst of her injury'sView attachment 2384096.(this is on her neck)

Four days without eating is not good, neither is the sea green-colored poop. If you can get some tube feeding supplies, that would be good. In a pinch, you can tube feed a duck using a 60ml syringe, some aquarium tubing, and some parrot feeding formula, or game bird crumble. Once you get those supplies we can further into depth regarding tube feeding her.

The green poop is likely an indicator she has some sort of infection, that, of course, coincides with the wound that just occurred. Unless you have antibiotics at your house currently, it would be a good idea to go to TSC, or your local feed store and pick up some Penicillin G Injectable. While it's not the best antibiotic, it'll be better then nothing, and unlike other antibiotics, it's readily available with an RX, in stores. At TSC, pick up some 22 gauge needles, and some syringes, because Pen G needs to be given IM.

The dose for penicillin G is 0.15ml per pound IM, once a day, or every two days.

If you've already flushed the wound well, I would apply an antibacterial ointment to that a few times a day.

Ok, we can get all of these tomorrow I think. We have been giving her an antibacterial ointment every day, and have been changing her bandages once a day. I have also never tube fed a duck, or given one an injection. Is this something I could learn here or over YouTube? Thanks for all of the help!

Ok, we can get all of these tomorrow I think. We have been giving her an antibacterial ointment every day, and have been changing her bandages once a day. I have also never tube fed a duck, or given one an injection. Is this something I could learn here or over YouTube? Thanks for all of the help!

Watch both of these videos. For the second link, you'll have to make an account, but it's for free.

https://lafeber.com/vet/intramuscular-injections-in-birds/

I should have added, it may be worth stopping by. a pharmacy, or medical store and see if they have any red rubber catheters. If they do, get at least an 18 french or above. If you can only get aquarium tubing, that's fine, but the tip will need to be melted down until smooth so there isn't any esophageal lining damage when you go to tube.

Ok, I went to my local feed store and found a 20 inch red rubber catheter with a rounded tip. As for the food, I couldn't find any game bird crumble, but I did find a regular duck food crumple. I am assuming this will be ok? Should I dissolve it in water and feed her with that?

Back
Top Bottom