Duck not eating

Ok, I went to my local feed store and found a 20 inch red rubber catheter with a rounded tip. As for the food, I couldn't find any game bird crumble, but I did find a regular duck food crumple. I am assuming this will be ok? Should I dissolve it in water and feed her with that?

The duck crumbles will work. Do you have a picture of the tubing?

You'll want to start off by hydrating her first before you actually tube-feed her. Could you weigh her on a scale, and give us an approximate weight?

Sure. She weighs just about six pounds, and here is a picture of the tubing.
IMG_0185.jpg
IMG_0186.jpg

Sure. She weighs just about six pounds, and here is a picture of the tubing.View attachment 2385665View attachment 2385664

The tube looks a little small, so when you give her food, you may need to grind the crumbles into powder first, and also make the consistency slightly on the watery side, so the feed doesn't get stuck in the tube. Before tubing her make sure to practice in the sink, and make sure the feed comes out well.

Before tube feeding her feed though, you'll want to give her fluids first. If she weighs six pounds, tube her around 84ml of Gatorade, Pedialyte, or any other type of electrolyte. Using a meat thermometer warm the fluids up to around 102F first. Give her more fluids, after an hour or so, and let us know when she starts producing poops.

Ok, I have fed her once already. She has produced one water greenish poop. Her wound is definitely infected now. It is oozing green fluid. I have ordered needles and the penicillin. How many times should I feed her a day?

Ok, I have fed her once already. She has produced one water greenish poop. Her wound is definitely infected now. It is oozing green fluid. I have ordered needles and the penicillin. How many times should I feed her a day?

Did you give her water, or feed? You need to start out hydrating her, then tube feed her.

This is from here,

Step 3:
Once warmed, correct hydration and this should not be done until the duck is warmed up. Tube warmed (102 degrees) Pedialyte or Gatorade at 14 ml per pound of body weight, wait 60-90 minutes and repeat. If no poop is produced by 3 hours after first tubing, repeat once more.

Step 4:
Once the duck is pooping you can start tubing warmed Kaytee Exact baby bird food or a non-lay crumble (lay crumble has too much calcium). Start by tubing 14 ml per pound of body weight and increase a little at each feeding. Do not exceed 23 ml per pound of body weight. Sick birds are tube fed 2-4 times a day.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/

Could you post a few pictures of her wound?

IMG_2184.jpg
IMG_2185.jpg

We have been doing our best to keep the wound clean, but it is still looking infected. Today when I took of her bandages, the wound had turned the gauze a weird green color. We have the things we need to give injections. Do you think this would help get rid of the infection? Her poop is still pretty green.

Green on a birds wound is fairly normal, it indicates the presence of biliverdin, a pigment seen in bruises. When you have the bandage on, make sure there is plenty of gauzes underneath for padding and air circulation. Continue to take the bandage off each day to monitor the wound, and apply more ointment if needed. Never let the wound dry out.

If you have all the supplies, yes, I would give her some of the Pen G, IM. If you've never given a bird medication IM, just take the time, watch a few video's online, understand the process, then perform it. Don't rush your way through.

Back
Top Bottom