Duck not laying, low tummy

cl0ud

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 9, 2014
Pennsylvania
My seven month old buff Orpington hen has stopped laying eggs over a week ago and her stomach is laying lowish to the ground, kind of like an egg is sitting in it. She is still happy, active, spends time outside and in water and cleaning herself and hasn't had a drop in appetite from what I've noticed. I'm not sure why she stopped, I don't think she's egg bound, but I haven't had experience with egg binding before so I might be wrong.
I've looked at her vent and it outwardly looks good, I've also given her a warm tub to sit in and relax her muscles in case I was wrong.
Any suggestions on what I should do?

The best pictures I could get were of her choosing mud over the fresh new water I put in the pond, sorry

Last edited:
Ducks are strange, some times they just stop laying for a period, she looks fine from the pictures, and from what your saying, doesn't sound as if she is egg bound, when my Cayuga was egg bound, she would sit and not really move and would eat little, and you could tell she was in pain :(

Last edited:
Sometimes ducks can get ascites, fluid build up in the belly - it can be serious, though I have not had experience with it - just something I have read about.

It is also possible there could be something going on with her egg-laying system, too.

I would go to a vet if at all possible.

Is she getting extra calcium?

Back
Top Bottom