Duck not walking properly . . . Help!

She is on Laucke Showbird breeder mp pellets: http://www.lauckemills.com.au/products/category/DBUARVIG-layer-breeder/5682

I don’t provide oyster shell but will start if it will prevent this from happening to my other ducks. None of my other laying ducks have ever had any problems.

She still hasn’t passed an egg but has had a little bit more of the milky white liquid - it’s a thinner consistency than a runny duck poo. She is still walking funny but doesn’t seem as stressed out anymore.
Some Hens without proper Calcium can't produce strong egg shells...Also some Hens just are not cut out for layers. Infection could be an issue?..Possible Vet appointment?.

It looks like a good feed source but true some birds just need extra calcium so putting out oyster shell is the way to go they will use it as needed.

I'd offer some calcium citrate[ human] or calcium gluconate [TSC] add to some thawed peas smashed up or put some into their water.

She really looks very uncomfortable is a vet an option? Most Runners are great layers but they are prolific layers so they can get depleted in their calcium reserves pretty easy so supplementation is rec.

Hi everyone, just an update on what happened with our egg bound duck . . .

I had my house sitter follow the procedures listed on the forums (feeding calcium, warm bath/swim and an internal examination). The duck still didn't lay an egg that night but did pass some white creamy looking liquid. The following morning I was back home and repeated the above and the duck laid an egg and then it was as if she just instantly returned to her usual self and is walking properly again! When my husband went out to the vegetable garden he noticed that some of the ducks had obviously gotten in and eaten quite a bit of the Kangkong (water spinach) that was overhanging from the aquaponics system. I don't usually let the ducks eat any spinach because of what it says about spinach affecting calcium in the Ultimate Duck Treat post. I am not sure if Kangkong/water spinach affects ducks as spinach so have never let the ducks eat that either. I have also started putting out oyster shell for the ducks and some of them have been eating it. The grey duck hasn't laid an egg since (it's been a little over a week) but aside from that she is healthy. None of my other laying ducks were affected. Thanks everyone for the help and advice - there is nothing worse than sick pets when I am away and can't be there to help them.

So relieved to hear she laid that egg and is back to normal, it's not unusual for them to take breaks in between laying so hopefully this is just her body recouping from that ordeal.

Thanks so much for updating!! Never heard of water spinach I'll have to look that up.

Back
Top Bottom