Duck not waterproof

robinjs11

In the Brooder
May 21, 2016
My beautiful white drake has been waterlogged and dirty for the past 3 days. I assumed it was his oil gland and poured a couple of cups if hot water on it and massaged it. It has not helped and all of the feathers in that area are stained yellow unlike my other ducks. Anyone know why this has happened?

I'm sorry to say, my Muscovy drake is in the same boat. We got our first good rain the day before yesterday and my poor boy looked like a drowned rat when I brought him in that night. Poor thing.

He is a strong flyer, his feathers look great otherwise, but there is a small patch near his neck that looks extra greasy (as if he hasn't been able to reach it to preen). I suspect that's how he got so wet all over. But... I wish I knew why, or how to help him! Spending all winter indoors will be no fun for him, or me.

Hopefully others will be able to help us figure this situation out. Best wishes with your duck!

That is how I described it also, like a drowned rat. He feels wet and cold and will have to stay out of water this winter also if it cant be fixed. Good luck to your duck also!

Thank you :) In Googling the issue, I stumbled upon this

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-muscovy-health-problems

It describes "Wet Feather" but all of the listed causes don't seem to really apply to my drake. He's free-range on grass for the most part, doesn't get particularly muddy, and has plenty of access to clean drinking and swimming water. The only thing that rings a bell is that he hasn't been swimming quite as often as during the heat of summer, but still a few times a day. Does your guy swim a lot?

Other google searches bring up the possibility of a preening gland infection and need for antibiotics. Or, parasites. If it were parasites, I would think all the birds here would have issues. If it's oil gland related, the suggestions other than medication seem to be to wash with dawn dish soap and warm water to kinda reset the system. I don't really see that happening with my guy (I'd be a bloody mess trying to wash this guy's hiney!).

Wet feather doesn't fit mine either. He is also free range with 2 kiddie pools of water and he is swimming a little less but its in the 50s in the day and 30s at night, so getting colder.
I dont think it's parasites, my other 6 don't have issues. It might be an infection. Is yours feathers stained yellow around the gland? Mine is very friendly and I will try the dawn dish soap in the morning. 2 muscovy drakes with a similar problem...interesting.

wonder what a farm vet would recommend. Did the birds mentioned have troubles in early duck hood, or did this come on suddenly? I'm thinking perhaps a birth defect in this area?

My drake was hatched this spring, maybe 7 months old and this just started a couple of days ago. He started just being wet and has gotten dirty over the days. They have a duck house inside of a barn and he dries out pretty well over night

Last edited:
Wet feather doesn't fit mine either. He is also free range with 2 kiddie pools of water and he is swimming a little less but its in the 50s in the day and 30s at night, so getting colder.
I dont think it's parasites, my other 6 don't have issues. It might be an infection. Is yours feathers stained yellow around the gland? Mine is very friendly and I will try the dawn dish soap in the morning. 2 muscovy drakes with a similar problem...interesting.
If you use the dawn soap that will remove any oils that are on the feathers . @robinjs11

Muscovies are not actually water resistant like mallard drives breeds, their oil production that coats the feathers ( that makes them water proof) does not produce as much oil to keep them water resistant for long. That's because muscovies are more tree derived ducks. Also they are native to South America and Central America where it has a high humidity and to combat this their feather open up too cool their bodies and let water run off( when they are wet and they puff their feathers out they look soaked and pointy instead of all fluffy, which lets excess water drop off from their under coats ) instead of it collecting under their feathers and rolling off of their feathers like mallard derived breeds.

Muscovies can actually get to dry and their feathers can become brittle. So it is best clean them once in a while, I know for show some people use butter milk to re hydrate feathers, but you can get the same result with giving them daily baths( without soap, just water and a soft cloth or your hand to clean the feathers)

Your birds are completely fine if you give daily baths it will help increase the gland production and he might end up getting some more water protection, but being a Muscovy he can't just sit in water for hours on end without looking water logged .

Last edited:
This is interesting, as my guy looks as if his oil production is in overdrive. The gland itself looks normal to me, but on closer inspection of his (now dry) feathers, it appears that he is extra greasy in places. Here's a pic

Back
Top Bottom