Duck Nutrition Requirements

edtheduck

In the Brooder
Oct 31, 2023
Hi! I am a relatively new duck mom and am a bit confused on the timeline for switching foods. We have three female runner ducks that are 23 weeks old. They are currently eating Manna Pro Duck Starter Grower Feed and I am mixing in oats for a 25% oats/75% feed ratio. I also mix in Fresh Eggs Daily Probiotics and Fresh Eggs Daily Brewer's Yeast. On the back of their feed bag, it states to switch to Manna Pro Duck Layer Feed at 20 weeks. Our girls haven't started laying yet though. A couple questions: 1.) Should I switch to the layer feed even if they haven't started laying? 2.) Will they start laying even if it is starting to get cold? (We are in the midwest.)

Thanks in advance for the info! A picture of one of our girls, Ed, just because. :)

Attachments

• ed.png
    ed.png
    3 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Switch now. It helps their body prepare to lay. they may or may not lay any eggs until spring but they should have calcium available. Better Yet -- just switch them to an ALL FLOCK kind of feed and give flaked or crushed oyster shells on the side (always available but not mixed into the feed)
They will only eat what they need when they need it and the drakes (if you have any) wont eat it.
I LOVE YOUR BLUE RUNNER. !!

Beautiful! Agree with @Jenbirdee. They don't need grower anymore or layer. I feed my girls a mix of Mazuri waterfowl maintenance and breeder. If your whole flock is not laying yet maintenance or an all-flock food is good. Once they start laying offer oyster shell on the side and go to a breeder feed if they're all laying.

@Jenbirdee and @CoriM thank you both so much for the info! I was so confused while they were in this "in-between" time, but this all makes perfect sense! Going to be ordering them some new food today :)

Back
Top Bottom