Duck only sit on the nest part time. What shall I do ?

ivy_huan

Songster
May 31, 2022
I just noticed one of my ducks is sitting on the nest. She actually only has two under her but last couple of days I noticed she s been sitting there ( I thought she was just laying late that day ) then I noticed she has been sitting on them all day today till evening.

I sneaked put a few eggs next to her and she just took them under her.

Then this evening I noticed that she is off the nest eating and foraging with the rest of the flock. Thought she s just doing her thing but I just looked and now she is sitting curling up with the rest to go to sleep...

Whats with that ?
Is she broody or not broody ? Lol I'm very confused

Even when broody they get off the nest which is good. You want them to get off come out and eat drink and swim. Sounds like she is serious. My Muscovy is brooding and she comes out about 3-4 times a day to eat drink swim and chase.lol she loves to chase now that she is broody. They know what they are doing. It's in their DNA.

Even when broody they get off the nest which is good. You want them to get off come out and eat drink and swim. Sounds like she is serious. My Muscovy is brooding and she comes out about 3-4 times a day to eat drink swim and chase.lol she loves to chase now that she is broody. They know what they are doing. It's in their DNA.

I have a chicken and a goose sitting on eggs right now. Chicken is more serious and doesn't get off the nest very much at all.
The goose gets off for about an hour or so two three times a day but my duck is only sitting on them during the day not on the evening it's so weird
I guess she is not quite full time sitter just yet

How long has she been doing this? Have you candled any of the original eggs to see if there is life?
Only 2,3 days I think
One morning my boyfriend said we miss a duck and there she was sitting on her nest and I thought she was just laying late that day 😂😂
She seems to be more serious today when I went to give her another egg she hissed at me
They should be all fertilized, my ratio of drake to hen is off and I had a good hatch of their eggs about a month ago

Some ducks seem to start part time before they really get serious with setting. Most of my ducks take much longer breaks than my chickens even after they are serious. Others will sit on the eggs sometimes and then decide not to set. In a few days you will know for sure.
The first time I realized a duck was sitting part time I feared the eggs would start and then die from cold. They didn't she hatched 12 out of 13 eggs 28 days after she started sitting day and night.

Some ducks seem to start part time before they really get serious with setting. Most of my ducks take much longer breaks than my chickens even after they are serious. Others will sit on the eggs sometimes and then decide not to set. In a few days you will know for sure.
The first time I realized a duck was sitting part time I feared the eggs would start and then die from cold. They didn't she hatched 12 out of 13 eggs 28 days after she started sitting day and night.
Thanks for the reply
She hasn't been sitting on them full time yet
Always off during the night
She has a nest full now and it's pouring out but she still off the nest.
I'm not too stressed about losing the eggs just really curious of their behavior

Back
Top Bottom