Duck or Drake?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Derksmit, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Derksmit

Derksmit New Egg

Aug 25, 2011
    [​IMG]

Do you think this baby is a duck or a drake?

Thanks in advance.

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    All the drakes I had developed a feather above the tail that curled very noticeably. Mine got theirs at about 5 months old.
    I am thinking it looks young yet.

3. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    How does it quack? Loud and honk-like or quiet and mwacking/whisper sounding?

4. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Drake by the looks of it. And that is not true about the feather. My are 2 months and my drake just got it.

5. Derksmit

Derksmit New Egg

Aug 25, 2011
    It is about 4 months old. I am uncertain as to the exact timing of voice changing/ drake feathering. It seems to still have the ability to be loud when it wants to, however such episodes are becoming less and less frequent. The quacking is hard for me to gauge since we just recently started with ducks, so I have little basis for comparison. I was hoping someone would be fimiliar enough with the breed to make a good guess or maybe we could just put it to a vote? [​IMG]

6. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    At four months old you should be able to tell the difference in the quack...the boys are raspy, almost like a loud duck whisper. The girls actually quack. I could tell my Indian runner drake (that was supposed to be a hen) was a drake at 2 months due to his voice. If your duck quacks loudly, chances are she is a she.

Now they're 3.5 months and the drake has his beautiful green sheen (he's a black) and his curly tail feather.

Since I have three hens, I don't mind. The boys are quieter and it just means I could incubate duck eggs if I choose to.

7. Mother_Hen2011

Mother_Hen2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    different species have different time frames and everything lol each duck is unique in every way. My drake was 4.5 months old when he finally got his "Sex Feather". Hes a Buff/Orpington Drake.
    His name is Cheeze his mates name is Quackerz.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a pic of my male a female pair. [​IMG] Yes my drake is much much quieter than my hen lol
    She is VERY LOUD!! Lol Hope this helps alittle.. Hopefully if you look close enough you can see his "Sex Feather"

8. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    ducks and geese are the easist thing to sex, of all poultry... I learned to do this when I was about 9. and they can be successfully sexed at any age...

flip over, expose vent. and push downward... if it's a circle, it's a hen.. if it's pops out.. it's a drake..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by