Duck owners, I need help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crtrlovr, Sep 23, 2008.

1. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Hi! Help me please! I went to a poultry farm today and saw several varieties of beautiful ducks, geese, guineas, and silkies. I'd love to have some ducks and maybe some bantam breed and/or small chickens; I have some standard heavies (chickens) now. She had call ducks, white mallards (smaller than I'd thought!), Pekins, fawn & white runners, Rouens, Lg./standard silver Appleyards, mini silver Appleyards, East Indies, at least one Mandarin (beautiful!!), Muscovies (nice, but not my fave), and some mutt types of the large size/standard sizes. I'd love to have some of the smaller ones (rationale being that smaller = more for the space available! [​IMG] and am leaning toward some calls, some white mallards, and a pair of the runners. What breeds are the most friendly, docile, non-flighty, and get along well with chickens? Any input here?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  2. chickmamawannabe

chickmamawannabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Canby, Or-y-gun
    Out of the 3 that you listed, I'd say Calls are the best choice, although the chickens might pick on them if you keep them together. They're very docile though. I love Runners, too, but the ones I've known have been pretty flighty.

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

thanks for the response!

4. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Calls can be very friendly. I can't help with getting along with chickens though. My chickens & guineas free range but my calls are locked up. They fly and it seems everything likes to eat them. I have a pair of Rouens that run with the chickens. They are pretty laid back and don't bother anyone.

5. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I have one hen in with my ducklings. They do tolerate each other, but I wouldn't say that they get along.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by