Duck Pens?

I have ducks in an open toped, electric poultry net. I was putting straw in an " igloo" (doghouse), but took it out of the pen completely, as the ducks were more interested in sheltering in the two sets of "bunch grass"... the one is fairly open - really only a place where the nest is. The other, the long & large fronds hang over and the ducks shelter/sleep there. The net changes shape every so often - based on grass growth. It's 500' long & has been many different shapes. Usually it incorporates the small pond & both of the grass "things"...

20200523_090720.jpg 20200523_090626.jpg 20200410_184714.jpg 20200410_184312[1].jpg

Our duck pens for the new ducklings will be permanent pens around our fruit trees in the main pony pasture - ringed 3/4 of the way around a 60' round pen used for training ponies and teaching children to ride in. They will not have a pond feature, but will have a small kiddie pool for water (that can b moved so that dirty contents can b rinsed onto trees), a variety of ground cover - grasses, weeds, herbs, flowers that are companian planted w/ our trees. Also, when the trees are deep watered, water flows into a "swale " type ditch between the trees & our pony training round pen. When it rains heavily, these same small "swales" catch water that flows across part of the pasture & then directs/ holds it for the trees. While water is in the swales, they will have natural water splashing & swimming available. I will be making an a-frame style house, that may also b moveable, don't know exactly yet how that will work...

I don't have pics accessible from phone yet...

The oldest duckling in Group 1 is about 8 weeks old now, the youngest 2 are 5 weeks old. The 7 of them are currently living under a 3 hole rabbit hutch.

20200523_092307.jpg

Group 2 has 10 ducklings, all hatched on May 23rd, so 2 weeks old today (still in large 100 gallon rubber maid tank w/ a light, weaning off lite during the day now). Not sure yet if i will keep the ducks together later or run/ keep as 2 separate flocks... pics on my phone - not resized yet...

Edited to add - our original ducks are Swedish - 2 blue, 1 splash hen & black drake. The 2nd group is 5 Ancona, different colors & 2 mixed breeds. The 3rd group is 4 Ancona - 2 black & 2 blue - & 6 mixed breed. I may put Ancona together & keep mixed breed separate... Again not sure yet. I am also hoping to get some chocolate Ancona either later this fall or next year... of the 9 Ancona i have now, i do not know sexes yet...

Last edited:
I think it's important they have plenty of sunshine, and of coarse shade too when hot. My 6yo pekin still lays...

6 year old peking still laying is quite interesting. Maybe you can tell us more about that, and how you managed that.

I had heard stories of people getting hens to still lay and have good production even after their first 2 years had passed. So its worth hearing how people manage this to create success.

And with the economy having hard times ahead this further encourages the need to try to keep existing resources going, and not waste anything, in case some years it gets harder to get new chicks, etc.

Also @paintedChix I'm curious where the best place to get these big 100 gallon tanks is cheaply? Do you reccomend something?

I'd been interested in water storage tanks and cubes for a lot of reasons. They can be used to craft stuff, and also hold water but it seems that its hard to find them at a price that's decent without getting ripped off. (And also complicated with getting a truck to move them when I find one for sale.)

Hay lol no straw here. Yeah it's not hard i only have two pekin now... I also use the hay under open shelters for the scovies... i have a dirt area they all come into.. aka used to be dog yard lol.

It's such easy bedding, for one it's already here and a pitch fork lifts it up in large chunks.. my calls have shavings inside the house so do the Pekin... it's a good insulator especially in our cold weather which lingers until May.

So ...this post was great. Thanks Quackers and others.

This made me think of something to ask, that I feel might be important.

If you don't have bed shavings out in winter, will this mess up your ducks? I had thought they'd be fine but it sounds like you guys do stuff differently in winter. And this makes me not want to take things by chance.

I just have dirt in my pen that also is a dog yard. And probably that's OK, but for winter I don'[t know. Will I need straw or shavings in there as a must in winter and cold months?

Back
Top Bottom