1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck Pond Ideas

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KOTurkeyRanch, Jan 16, 2011.

1. KOTurkeyRanch

KOTurkeyRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Western PA
    I have a pure wild mallard hen that i hatched and raised (my dad got the eggs because the wild duck laid her eggs on their machinery outside) and i have a question.

When i was raising her she was very afraid of me, but know she knows this is home, she will get flushed by my dog fly out of sight then come back so shes staying not migrating. I want to make her a pond so i can get more but we dont have any natural springs and the pond we have to water our cow dries up because its very little so i was wondering if i could get an inground pond like the black ones for fish but my dad said it will get really dirty from the poop in the bottom not being able to get out so how could i remove the waste while not moving the pond? Snales?

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    If you check the link in my signature i have a koi pond that i use for my ornamental ducks and it gets really, really, really, mucky and dirty and i would personally recommend getting maybe a stock tank that could be set above ground that way you can just either let the water out with a valve or tip it over and rinse it out. The reason i recommend doing something like that is because every 2 and a half weeks i have to empty all the water (all 600 gallons) and all the sludge out with a sump pump and a wet/dry vacuum (yes even in the 4˚ weather we had last week) and its a pain in my but. Not to mention the water bill before i started pumping out of my cistern.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by