Duck pond

I do, but stopped filtering or cleaning it about 5 years ago.
Lillies and good bugs and frogs still abound, but eventually I'll have to dig it all out.
The woman with the blog has 20 plus ducks, so I wrote to her and asked her how she made hers. No response yet. Hers looks nice to me, but maybe it hasn't been long enough for her to have issues.

Likely.
Just like all the cute prefab coops here,
there are tons of pond building kits and web posts that end up being train wrecks.
haha I bought one of those cute prefab coops for my chickens to hang out in and to keep them out of the wind and let me tell you those things are junk. Right now my roof has buckled up and I have a rock on top to keep it laying flat so that's why I'm going to make something a bit simpler. They do love that coop for laying eggs in...that's all it's good for though.

I'm wanting to build a duck pond. I currently use a kiddy pool but want something nice for my 2 ducks. But How do I build it to keep it from getting muddy? With just the two of them they make about an inch layer of mud in the bottom of the pools. I clean them weekly but not sure if a filtration system would help once we build an actual pond. Hoping someone has some answers for me.

I have a pond. Nice, big pond. My ducks were doing fine with it. Summer or winter, they would run for the pond and then one day nobody would get in the pond. They looked at it, they walked all the way around it but wouldn't go in. We finally saw the turtle. We shot it, got it out the next day and off it went. Then we saw it's mate and we shot that one. We have watched, poked the mud around the pond with a stick, thrown food in and not a sign of another turtle and not a duck on the pond either. It's been over a year. The other day a friend came to visit and he has a dog he says is a maltese and poodle mix. I don't think so, I think it is part maltese and part australian shepherd. Anyway, it rounded the ducks up and they all jumped in the pond. They stayed in as long as the dog was outside. We came in, two of the ducks stayed in the pond for a while then came out. We let the dog back out and they went back in the pond. It was the same all day. The dog out, the ducks in the pond. The dog in, the ducks out. I have a pitbull and they don't care if he's in or out, he's their dog. Nothing hurt them, there's nothing in there and since the dog left, there hasn't been a duck in the pond. So don't spend a lot of money building a pond unless you just like looking at the water. Despite the saying like a duck to water, not all ducks like ponds.

Back
Top Bottom