Duck pool filter??

talkhorsesducks

Songster
Apr 13, 2022
Hi! I have a kiddie pool for my ducks. It holds a lot of water and it’s a great size for my ducks. However, they get it dirty SO fast, and emptying it is a huge waste of water. so I’m looking for some type of pool/pond filter to clean out the poop and dirt the put into the water. I’m in Canada. Does anyone have any suggestions/experience with duck pool filters?
image.jpg

Hi! I have a kiddie pool for my ducks. It holds a lot of water and it’s a great size for my ducks. However, they get it dirty SO fast, and emptying it is a huge waste of water. so I’m looking for some type of pool/pond filter to clean out the poop and dirt the put into the water. I’m in Canada. Does anyone have any suggestions/experience with duck pool filters?
View attachment 3105457
I don’t know anything about filters for duck pools but I’m interested in the info you get here.

I can’t stand the dirty water so I have a smaller kiddie pool than what you’ve got, that way I can dump and refill more often without wasting a ton of water. I think mines only a 3 foot round.

But Ive been wanting to get a bigger stock tank and make it really nice but then I've got the same dilemma you’re in. Hopefully someone’s got a solution!

I don’t know anything about filters for duck pools but I’m interested in the info you get here.

I can’t stand the dirty water so I have a smaller kiddie pool than what you’ve got, that way I can dump and refill more often without wasting a ton of water. I think mines only a 3 foot round.

But Ive been wanting to get a bigger stock tank and make it really nice but then I've got the same dilemma you’re in. Hopefully someone’s got a solution!
Yeah the pool is 6 feet in diameter- I have 7 ducks and more coming so I don’t think a smaller pool would work for me- I had one when I had less ducks but it wasn’t as deep. Yeah I hope I get a solution!!

I hate to be a naysayer, but it will be really difficult. A particulate filter is going to clog almost instantly and cleaning the filter will become more of a chore than changing the water.

Depending on where you live, the electricity to generate enough pumping pressure to filter the water may cost more than new water.

A swirl separator and/or kaldness filter would work but it would be huge and expensive to build.

You could pump or drain the pool into a larger reservoir, give it a few days to settle and then decant and reuse the most of the water.

Water that looks nasty is still fine from the duck's point of view. They will still be happy and healthy.

I hate to be a naysayer, but it will be really difficult. A particulate filter is going to clog almost instantly and cleaning the filter will become more of a chore than changing the water.

Depending on where you live, the electricity to generate enough pumping pressure to filter the water may cost more than new water.

A swirl separator and/or kaldness filter would work but it would be huge and expensive to build.

You could pump or drain the pool into a larger reservoir, give it a few days to settle and then decant and reuse the most of the water.

Water that looks nasty is still fine from the duck's point of view. They will still be happy and healthy.
Thank you for the reply!

Just make sure they have plenty of clean water sources that don't have dirt and other stuff in it and they should do fine with the kiddie pool being dirty for a few days or however often you clean the kiddie pool out.
View attachment 3105457
My 8 ducks do the same to their waterers and their water tub but that's on grass so it tends to stay cleaner longer (and it's smaller then a kiddie pool, it can only fit two pekin ducks in it sort of comfortably)
My ducks also free range all day, not sure if that really makes a difference with their water staying fairly clean through out the day although it depends on the day and weather on how?clean everything stays.

I've never used a filter before.
Good luck, in finding a good solution to the instant dirty water.

I'm new to ducks so just learning but thought I'd share what I'm doing to try and make the whole process a bit easier and less costly. I don't like wasting water either so I fill a 75 gal stock tank (with drain on the side at the bottom) and add First Saturday Lime which seems to control the algae. The water still turns green tho, I assume from the duck poop. I bucket water from the pool daily to water my garden then add more fresh water from the hose. Once a week I empty the pool from the drain where I attached a hose, give the sides and bottom of the tank a quick soap and water brushing, then refill. I placed the pool up hill from the garden so it's a gravity fed system. I've done a little reading on the risks of using the "fertilizing" water on my vegetables. So far I've only read that it may be a problem on root vegetables or uncooked crops. So I'm careful about cleaning all vegetables and watering only the roots. I'm afraid wintertime in Kansas will change my nice little routine tho :( Good luck to you. Ducks are the best!

If you plan on keeping a pool like you have, I would just put a drain in it with one of those bulkheads or spigots. If you have a container with a flat side, it will be easier to keep it from leaking. Just hose the container out.
If you want to do a pond (in ground or above ground) I would check this Article out for ideas. Also, I want to note that you may not need electricity, some pumps or filters have a pressurized system to them.

If you plan on keeping a pool like you have, I would just put a drain in it with one of those bulkheads or spigots. If you have a container with a flat side, it will be easier to keep it from leaking. Just hose the container out.
If you want to do a pond (in ground or above ground) I would check this Article out for ideas. Also, I want to note that you may not need electricity, some pumps or filters have a pressurized system to them.
Thank you so much!!

I'm new to ducks so just learning but thought I'd share what I'm doing to try and make the whole process a bit easier and less costly. I don't like wasting water either so I fill a 75 gal stock tank (with drain on the side at the bottom) and add First Saturday Lime which seems to control the algae. The water still turns green tho, I assume from the duck poop. I bucket water from the pool daily to water my garden then add more fresh water from the hose. Once a week I empty the pool from the drain where I attached a hose, give the sides and bottom of the tank a quick soap and water brushing, then refill. I placed the pool up hill from the garden so it's a gravity fed system. I've done a little reading on the risks of using the "fertilizing" water on my vegetables. So far I've only read that it may be a problem on root vegetables or uncooked crops. So I'm careful about cleaning all vegetables and watering only the roots. I'm afraid wintertime in Kansas will change my nice little routine tho :( Good luck to you. Ducks are the best!
Thank you, they are the best

Back
Top Bottom