Duck population crashed last night

they eat layer meal and chicken scratch along with free range what ever is on they fields. i felt them all over with no bite marks. I have not made it out to the farm yet to see what today holds, they are off the highway on a large plot. I have a garden on sight but its all organic. the roof on the museum was replaced last month and it snowed last week I guess there could have been some kind of solvent left on the metal roof that washed down into there pond I was just shocked. will be out in an hour or so to feed guess I will see what the day holds

so just got back from the farm and no other losses however I did observe the gunnie fowl attacking the bigger ducks. the gunnies are really starting to lay alot I wonder if they are attacking the ducks. I have no idea. they have grown up all togather from last years babies any thoughts on that idea

I think it could have been a predator. Mallards are much more defensive of their flock than the larger domestic breeds which quite frankly, are sissys. A predator could have come and the mallard males tried to protect the females.

I think if I understand it, drakes should not be eating layer food because of the calcium. But, others might know better. I don't think it's a predator because a variety of ducks would have been attacked, not just mallard males.

It sounds like they may have ate something posionous. Maybe rat posion, fertilizer, etc.
Could also be diet, layer has a bunch of calcium in it and its not good for drakes at all.

My guess it rat or mouse poison through secondary poisoning. Drakes love to eat mice, and they don't care if they are dead. They just swallow them down. Female ducks usually do not eat rodents. I don't think it is the layer feed. It does not contain enough calcium to do damage, unless they drakes are juvenile.

Back
Top Bottom