Duck, possible eye infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pauleberly, Mar 8, 2017.

1. pauleberly

pauleberly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    I try and check my animals over at least once a month. Upon checking over my Muscovy duck, it seems like she has a small amount of weep to her eye. I did not see anything in the eye, or any damage to it.

Is there an ointment or antibiotic eye drop I can put into her eye? I would like to treat this asap, thank you. The first two pictures are of her weeping eye, the 3rd is of her "good eye"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    They sell Terramycin eye ointment at feed stores which is an antibiotic oxytetracycline. It is usually locked up, so you will need to ask for it. It is applied twice day into the eye, just a dab. Do you think that she was pecked in the eye, or could she have a respiratory disease mycoplasma (MG) that is common in ducks and chickens and other fowl. It's symptoms are watery or foamy eyes, swelling of eyes or face, sneezing or coughing, and nasal drainage. If she has MG, she may benefit from some injectable Tylan 50 or Tylan 200 given orally or by injection. Most other antibiotics now have to be obtained through a vet.

3. pauleberly

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    She does room with chickens, so a peck in the eye could have happened.

I have not noticed any sneezing or coughing in the chickens or ducks (ducks always seem to make a weird nose when they head bob)

I will look for that ointment. With a duck it will be very hard to apply it to the eye since they have that water proof lid correct?

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am not a duck expert, but some on the duck thread may be able to answer that.

5. wenzel759

wenzel759 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2014
    Hi I'm just wondering if anyone knows what may be wrong with my rooster I went out tonight and I noticed that he had a whitish eye like he had cataracts. I've never experienced this in any of my birds. Can some one please help me. Sorry to invade this thread but I saw it was somewhat fitted with my problem.

[​IMG]
    Bad eye[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Good eye[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would suspect that he is blind in that eye. You may get more views and advice with a new thread of your own, since many people will see that this thread is titled about a duck. Eye problems in chickens can be a result of infection, injury, cataracts, in chickens who have suffered from avian encephalomyelitis, from a vitamin A or E deficiency, or from certain diseases such as Mareks. Since it is affecting only one eye, it may be from injury or infection, but I'm not an expert.

7. wenzel759

wenzel759 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2014
    Ok thank you very much I will do that soon

8. pauleberly

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    I figured that the birds would have similar type of medications to them. I'll post in duck form thank you for help!

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  10. pauleberly

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    Called up to a couple of places, and both of them said it was probably allergies (didnt think poultry could get allergies)

So a couple of other places recommended that I put neosporin in her eye twice a day for 7 days and that should help clear everything up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by