Duck problems???

DucksandMeegan

Hatching
Sep 9, 2019
Hi, I have 2 white Pekin ducks. I love them to death and they are all I have left. I recently lost 6 of my ducks, and it was very sad. It’s weird without them but my boys are brave and I’m planning on getting some more ducks. Maybe some call ducks and some chickens! Not for a while. But I need help. Last night, I was on this website after googling dehydration in ducks, and found some information. Then I got insanely worried today. My ducks, one in specific I noticed, have been panting. I thought maybe it was the feathers in his beak, so I got em out. Still pants. Now, mind you, he’s been doing this for a while. I thought nothing of it till I googled it and found this. Then after school, I’m pretty sure he had a neck convulsion. He looked like he was gonna throw up, but he didn’t. So I put them in their run. The only weird thing is that I don’t think they could be dehydrated! Why? WE LIVE ON A LAKE!!!!! I let them out the whole day and put them in bed at night. So I don’t see how they could be dehydrated. But nothing wrong with taking precautions! So, I put them in their pen, grabbed the one who’ve I’ve noticed panted and had the neck thing, and dipped his beak in some water and sugar. He drank some. I filled their two kiddie pools full of clean water, and locked em up. I saw them drink! I just don’t know. I’m sitting inside writing this, watching them drink. They are outside all the time, in the lake, and they drink. They never swim away which makes it easy to put em to bed. They’re good boys. I just don’t know. And is diharrea like liquid poo? Is their poo supposed to be, like, solid? Not all the way but like, consistency??? Idk. Just, please help!!!!!! I don’t know what I would do if I lost em. I love them so so much. I need answers quick. HELPPP!!!!!!

First calm down! Panic is a bad counselor.
Duck do pant like dogs if it is really hot. Similar to dogs they cannot sweat and one way to cool down is to draw air over their tongues, exactly like dogs do. The other way for them to cool down is a refreshing bath in cold (not too cold, no ice!) water. I have one duck who stands in a puddle of water to cool herself down if there's not enough water in the pool or their bowls to take a bath.
Duck poo almost always looks disgusting, diarrhea like, nothing to worry. Feed your ducks red kale and you can see some really disgusting poop! - Red kale is very good for ducks, by the way.
Now if you're still worried, post some pictures of their poop here, @casportpony is our expert in this matter. You can also take a video, upload that on YouTube and embed it here.
I am sure your ducks are not dehydrated. Imagine you must wear a warm down-jacket in hot weather. You would pant too, wouldn't you? Important is that they have always access to water.

Sorry for your losses.

I'm confused. How did you lose the 6, or do you know how they died?

Sorry for your losses.

I'm confused. How did you lose the 6, or do you know how they died?
Thankyou! It was really sad. I woke up, and I was told the news. I still get sad. I am very sure it was a weasel. It makes most sense. The way they were killed. Most actually didn’t have any signs of cuts, just small punctures. Maybe a raccoon? But one, he had nothing lefts but the windpipe. Ugh. I miss them so much. One of the two still alive, he had a large scratch on his head. He’s all healed now though! We got another cage, safer though. Much safer. The other one, being new, we connected a house to, but had a small dog kennel on the outside. So I guess something reaches through. Very sad. But my two ducks are now safe.

First calm down! Panic is a bad counselor.
Duck do pant like dogs if it is really hot. Similar to dogs they cannot sweat and one way to cool down is to draw air over their tongues, exactly like dogs do. The other way for them to cool down is a refreshing bath in cold (not too cold, no ice!) water. I have one duck who stands in a puddle of water to cool herself down if there's not enough water in the pool or their bowls to take a bath.
Duck poo almost always looks disgusting, diarrhea like, nothing to worry. Feed your ducks red kale and you can see some really disgusting poop! - Red kale is very good for ducks, by the way.
Now if you're still worried, post some pictures of their poop here, @casportpony is our expert in this matter. You can also take a video, upload that on YouTube and embed it here.
I am sure your ducks are not dehydrated. Imagine you must wear a warm down-jacket in hot weather. You would pant too, wouldn't you? Important is that they have always access to water.
Thankyou!!!!! They are all better now!

Back
Top Bottom