Duck Quack-Is it Male or Female???

ro.netcmarie

Songster
11 Years
Oct 7, 2008
travelers rest, sc
I have 4 pekins and they are going on 2 mths now they are fully feathered, but one of them has really loud mouth. Is this the female? The other 3 are soft, but not loud like this one. I dont see any curled feathers on any of them so just dont know. My other crew of 3 I can definatley tell the female from her voice, she is much louder than the other two boys. Please help.

a real true quack i've read is a female and it seems to be so for here! Also 2 months old isn't old enough to start showing that curl in my experirence
smile.png
Around 4-5 months old I'd assume they'd get that in. I"m NEW to ducks myself but I have a male mallard and he's not even in his breeding plumage yet let alone a curled tail but he will start in august from what i read
smile.png

I too also have mallards 4 total, dont know if I have females or males yet, waiting patietly. just wanted to know bc too many males they are bulling . already have that with crew #1 (2males, 1 female). now i have crew #2 (4 pekins, unknown sexes yet). just wanted to even it out abit.

I'd say OH YEAH.. that is the girl!!! I had Pekins. The boys were much quieter.. and at this age, SHE will be making a louder noise.

My male mallard started getting darker areas above his tail at just a month old he sitll looks like a hen at a quick glance but he's deffinatly a boy
smile.png
Now he's finnally getting green on the back of his head (though you have to catch him and look at him closely to see the one or two feathers coming in). I would just observe them and look for those darker areas

Maybe these pictures will help you visually tell your drakes from your ducks

the male is the one nearest to the left side of the picture:
pair-1.jpg

our lovely male (look at the back right behind the wings above the tail that area is dark and even emrald green if you look closely!
big_smile.png
Notice how the hen in the background has tan lacing like markings and the male doesnt:
ChuyMacDiver.jpg

Back
Top Bottom