Duck Questions.........

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SandRun, Dec 31, 2007.

1. SandRun

SandRun Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I have a 1/4 acre pond on my property and would like to have some ducks swimming around. I think I have decided on Swedish ducks, does anyone have any experience with this breed?

2. SHELLY

SHELLY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    Southwest Missouri
    Sorry, I don't have experience with them. I looked them up though. They are supposed to be hardy. Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds says they are slow growing (which isn't all bad) but that they don't breed true. Blue breeds 25% white or splashed, 25% black and 50% blue. I thought the pic was beautiful, blue with white chest.

3. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    They are a great breed.

They are medium sized, between 6.5 and 8 pounds; males usually weigh more then females. They are Hardy, calm breed & a good forager.

The color of Blue Swedish ducks is due to heterozygosity in a color gene. If a Blue Swedish duck and drake breed, the young are the usual 25% / 50% / 25% ratio in:-

25%: A homozygous form, black where the blue should be.
    50%: As the parents.
    25%: The other homozygous form, splashed or silver with combinations of blue and black and white.

Just so you know, There is no such thing as a Black Swedish it is the result of any unstable blue-blue mating, as is 'Splashed" it is not shown or bred from but a good pet duck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by