duck.questions?

albird101

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
I finally got my ducks today's they seem to be in excellent.health but one has a slight limp, I checked his foot and he has this huge access underneath it, I checked online and it looks like bumble foot, once again I am completely mad that I could never get healthy duck with no complications to it. I read bumble foot isn't contagious but its a long steady process to treat it I'm willing to do everything I can because these are my first ducks and I'm not giving up on them just yet!! Any ideas how to cure it or what to buy

Oh gee! If you put "Bumblefoot" in the search box, a lot of info. will pop up, or if you wait a bit longer for others to see your post, I'm sure some have experience with it. I do not. If it's bad, they do their own surgery. Another thing I would not tackle. But I'm a squeamish sort.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but I have to admit that ducks are the ultimate in cute. X2 on drumstick diva's advice. Also you might want to post this on our duck section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks and take advantage of our duck experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your duck.

Good luck with the Bumble foot..I'm actually working with a leghorn right now with it. She had one on the bottom of her foot, and, one on top. She wasn't limping..I just noticed the swelling..so, have been working on it for about 6 days. The top sore is looking really good, the one on the bottom of the foot is being stubborn.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So sorry about your duck. But don't be too mad at yourself about not getting all healthy ducks. When keeping poultry, there are going to be all kinds of things go wrong over the years. I know it is hard to start out with something, but you will run into this stuff all through out your poultry keeping years. So just make this a learning opportunity. Definitely stop by our Ducks section for help with treating it. I have treated all my chickens for bumblefoot and it is not that hard to treat. Diligence in keeping the foot clean and dry is the key. Most bumblefoot can be cleaned up in 4 weeks.

Good luck on this new adventure. Take care of that bird as best you can and pretty soon this episode will all be behind you.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom