Duck Questions

So this is completely opposite from everything that I read on the internet last night. Everything that I read said that they grow faster, so they don't need the starter crumbles as long. Once they start to get substantially larger than the chicks, you go ahead and temporarily separate them. Then you start them on chicken layer pellets. Nothing was mentioned about any supplements. I also read that Pekin ducks could be housed either with chickens or by themselves, that they imprint on their humans and don't seem to need the interaction of another duck. This is why the internet gets so confusing. Obviously, I'm going to trust you guys since you're in the trenches, but I don't understand why EVERYTHING else I've read said otherwise. I spent a good three hours last night looking stuff up.

And, I will have three chickens. I was thinking of raising them together so the duck would just think it was another chicken. If they started fighting, I would separate them... But if they do need different food, then it seems I'd have to separate them anyway.

And 10x5x6'H is too small for three chickens? It was marketed for 6-9. I know that doesn't mean anything, but it's the biggest one I could find and it seemed perfect for only three (or for three and possible a duck). I'm a little frustrated because I feel like I've done all this research and just wasted my time. I can't even find anything larger that doesn't have incredibly poor ratings. So what am I supposed to do since everything I thought I knew is wrong? Not trying to come across as snappy, but I'm just frustrated.

On duck is not a good idea unless you are planing on it being a house duck. Pekins are just like other ducks and NEED a buddy. If you are going to be that companion that is fine but you will need to be with your duck almost 24/7, ask @Amykins She has a house duck who is a companion (which we all love). But if you plan on your duck being with your chickens that is fine, but you don't want him or her to be alone. Ducks are not chickens and do have different needs such as water. You can raise them kinda together but ducks grow so much faster and can step on chicks or the chicks can peck and hurt the ducks with their beaks. If you haven't had either before I might suggest you get either chickens or ducks first then get the other later.

Ducks can have non medicated chick starter but do need more niacin than chicks so you will have to supplement or get an all flock feed. Brewers yeast is an easy way to add the needed niacin.

The actual coop is 10 ft by 5 ft? Ducks don't roost so they need more floor space than chickens around 6 sq ft per bird give or take depending on how much time they spend in the coop. Mine have less be there are never any days that they cannot or will not go out to free range my backyard. The more birds you have in a smaller area can cause healthy and behavior problems. Another book is Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks. It's more of a farm approach but is very helpful.

I think given the limitations of my current living situation, I'll hold off on getting a duck. I don't want to half-*** anything when there's another life involved.

And, no, the run is 10x5x6'tall. The coop is like 46x38", not sure how tall.

I think given the limitations of my current living situation, I'll hold off on getting a duck. I don't want to half-*** anything when there's another life involved.

And, no, the run is 10x5x6'tall. The coop is like 46x38", not sure how tall.

I don't want to scare you away from ducks. I do love mine and I wish everyone had them. They are different than chickens and while everyone can get along each species has separate needs. Your coop does sound pretty small, but most pre fab ones are. I wish there was someone who knew ducks and chickens actually making them. With your current sized house and run you would be really pushing it for ducks and chickens. You could always just get the ducks and skip the chickens
big_smile.png

How many would you say could fit comfortably (chickens)? I honestly thought about a dog house for a duck LOL.

How many would you say could fit comfortably (chickens)? I honestly thought about a dog house for a duck LOL.

I keep Wobbles in a plastic dog kennel at night, but again...house duck. And @needlessjunk , even though I'm blessed to be able to spend all day with my solo duckie, he needs a girlfriend. I'm tired of being his mate, ha! I keep getting rude awakenings when he'll literally try to mount my face as I'm napping. This is why I wanted a girl. Oy-vey.

Anyway...a dog house won't be big enough for a pair of ducks, nor will it be easily cleanable or offer much protection from predators. I think they'd like to hang out in it, and even may choose it as a place to lay their eggs! But it just won't do as a permanent home.

Dog house can work. A lot of people use them and they are pretty easy to keep clean. I would think around 4 chickens would work but I have zero experience with that at all so I may be way off. That is something to ask on the chicken forums. You could always do the coop for chickens and a dog house for 2 ducks. That would work out a lot better than trying to cram everyone into one house. Ducks also need water that is deep enough to duck their heads in to keep their nostrils clean.

Last edited:
Dog house can work. A lot of people use them and they are pretty easy to keep clean. I would think around 4 chickens would work but I have zero experience with that at all so I may be way off. That is something to ask on the chicken forums. You could always do the coop for chickens and a dog house for 2 ducks. That would work out a lot better than trying to cram everyone into one house. Ducks also need water that is deep enough to duck their heads in to keep their nostrils clean.

Really?? Shows what I know...I've never seen ducks kept in a dog house! Now THIS is something I gotta see...
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom