Duck related advice needed!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by EmilyBoo2014, Feb 10, 2014.

1. EmilyBoo2014

EmilyBoo2014 New Egg

Feb 10, 2014
    South East England

My boyfriend and I are due to get our first batch of duck eggs this week and I have been researching night and day.

I am making a chart listing day to day checks that we can tick off so we can ensure these are done and the eggs have the best chance.

However I am trying to obtain the correct temperature and humidity to run the incubator at from day 1 to 25 and the day 25 to 28 (hatching)

I have viewed a number of articles and forums and a lot of them have different temperatures listed.

Also how would I know if I have a wet bulb or dry bulb?

I would also like some advice on misting as currently I am thinking we will mist the eggs with tepid water once daily however some suggest you should do this more often and others say none at all...

I would appreciate any advice you can give us and a little clarification to give our ducks a fighting chance

Thank you in advance :)
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  3. GoingQuackers

GoingQuackers Out Of The Brooder

X 2 on what Amiga said!

I love, love, love the first link she posted was written for geese but is pretty much universal for any waterfowl. Out of all the waterfowl hatching info I have read, this has been the most helpful guide. I managed a 100% hatch rate on my last hatch, so this will be my go-to guide from now on!

If your incubator has a fan to circulate the air, go for 99.5 degrees. If it does not, go a little higher (101 degrees). I never really got into the wet bulb/dry bulb fact, during this last hatch, I really only monitored temperature & I gauged humidity based on the size of the air cell (you'll read all about monitoring air cells if you click that link). I kept some wet paper towels in the incubator which I changed out daily & I patted the eggs with the paper towel when I placed it in the incubator. I only monitored humidity for lockdown.

I wish you best of luck with hatching!
  4. EmilyBoo2014

EmilyBoo2014 New Egg

Feb 10, 2014
    South East England
    Thank you so much for your advice!!

I'll be sure to make the most of the link

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by