Duck ripped nails off

ZZbean

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2022
Hi, I have a white-layer female duck who has always had weird nails which I assume is from her not being able to naturally trim them, But today I saw her limping a took a look to see her nails were wonky and had a cut on the scales below the nailbed, A hour later a saw it had completely riped off her no longer limping but leaving it red with blood and her white underside with blood spots. I was unable to wrap it because of the webbing so I'm looking for some ideas since it's bleeding and I have chickens. I do not have quip powder nor can get any but I did use flour and cornstarch which didn't help. Hope I'm explaining this now I will update with photos later as I just put powder on and am giving her a break from being touched.

clean it off with saline or a povidone iodine solution 90% water ,. spray with something like vetericyn, and wrap it, there are ways to do a ducks webbed foot with guaze and tape Ill look for a tutorial brb

Looks like @Jenbirdee has covered it pretty well. Maybe soaking in warm Epsom salt water would also help speed healing. When we can't get the bleeding to stop apply pressure. Nails do bleed a lot but hopefully, it has stopped by now. But def keep her away from the chickens since they are drawn to blood and open wounds.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies and sorry I didn't update the weather has been amazing so I was a bit preoccupied :)

I applied Vetericyn spray and Neosporin right away when I saw it I just forgot to mention it. She is doing great now I will contain the regimen of Neosporin and vetericyn once a day and will get her an iodine bath.

With the chickens luckily they didn't touch it the blood is gone and she's been in the pool many times (she went crazy so she not feeling bad). I will be cleaning out the coop run today to make sure the foot stays clean-ish (obviously they are ducks so that's not 100%)
I will try to avoid wrapping her foot if possible because she will hate it.

Back
Top Bottom