Duck Run Cleanliness

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tatswell, Aug 5, 2013.

1. tatswell

tatswell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Southern New England
    My two girls have a 20x10 run/coop where they stay overnight and when I am not home. Otherwise I let them out around the yard and stream. Half of the run is grass, the other just dirt/ mud.
    I have been cleaning it by hosing it down every day and raking in the poop. However, I have noticed this past week one of them has been making a coughing sound- I am wondering if raking it in is causing fungus to grow?
    I am thinking of taking some of the sand/ small gravel from the stream and putting it on the muddy area- if I do this, how often should I change the sand/ gravel- Hose it down every day and change the sand every week or so?

2. Britesea

Britesea Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2013
    Looking forward to a reply from one of our more experienced duck people. The gravel sounds like a good idea to keep things a little less muddy? I don't think it would be necessary to change out the gravel- just hose it clean-- maybe occasionally use some vinegar to kill odor and bacteria? (I'm a big fan of vinegar-- it's mildly antibacterial, but not toxic like bleach)

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I agree with Britesea on this one, I am big fan of river rock it's round and can't hurt feet like sharp gravel, I use it around the watering buckets and pools, I also use sand and just go out everyday and rake and replace as needed. I wouldn't think raking would cause this coughing your hearing unless your actually seeing fungus and or mold growing in the area your talking about, and I use a lot of vinegar too clean my buckets feed bowls and also use unpasteurized ACV in their feed and water. Also use ACV and water in buckets to wash down where their spill their feed and not that easy to keep cleaned up.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by