Duck run flooring... need your thoughts!

Mommapig

Chirping
6 Years
May 16, 2017
I have spent hours researching what flooring to use in my duck run. They'll be in my yard during the afternoon(grass and dirt) but mostly in their run. I built on concrete and was planning on doing all pea gravel or river rock, but now thinking of doing pea gravel in half where the pool is and wondering if horse stall mats/poultry flooring would be a good idea for the other half. I originally thought about doing sand but I'd like a run I could just hose off... I read a lot about people trying pea gravel but haven't seen anyone comment on how it has been going? Would the stall mats be softer on their feet than pea gravel and make a difference? Would doing the whole thing with mats be better? Maybe put pine shavings on the mats? I know it'd be better to have natural flooring, but I need a low maintenance and clean option.
Thanks for reading this long post ;)

Last edited:
My ducks have a coop that leads out to a small porch, all with linoleum flooring (super easy just to hose off) and their coop has hay on the bottom which is fairly easy to get out with a rake. They have a fenced off yard that is mostly dirt (with lots of treats thrown around everywhere) and are allowed out in the grassy yard when we're home to watch for predators. I think I answered this the way you were looking for. Tell me if I didn't. If you'd like, I can put some pictures of the duck house up.

I have pea gravel in part of my current run. I don't like it. At first it was nice being able to just hose it off but over time it has gotten harder to clean. It's almost impossible in the winter when everything freezes. I prefer the deep litter part of my run but I know it doesn't work as well on concrete.

The stall mats sound like a good idea. I think I've read of others using them. Whatever you go with, keep in mind that you want something that offers good traction when wet. Ducks aren't the most graceful on land and they can hurt their legs slipping on wet surfaces.

I need to make up my mind haha ducks are going out in two days
:yesss: the mats I'm lookin at are non slip so I'll give those a try! The pea gravel sounded so nice but I can see it getting gross down the road... the mats seem to be the most sanitary? We'll find out I guess!

Also, the weather will be 100-110 all week... am I able to leave the pool full all day? They're 6 weeks, but 100+ degrees and hot wind I can't imagine them getting chilled?

I've had a totally pea gravel run for over a year now. I find that if the pea gravel is deep enough it's insanely easy to keep clean. However, prior to a coupe months ago the girls bedded inside my home at night in a stall with wood shavings. Since moving them out full time to the gravel they have started with foot problems I have now covered the bulk of the pen in industrial chef mats over the pea gravel and it's working out brilliantly! Wish I'd done it from the start! All of the poop washes down through the holes and filters through the pea gravel. To cover the bulk of an 11'x11' pen was $125 in mats....worth every penny. Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_6209.JPG
    IMG_6209.JPG
    789 KB · Views: 802
That's exactly what I needed to know, thank you! I'd hate to buy pea gravel and have to remove it all... I'll try the mats first! :thumbsup

I've had a totally pea gravel run for over a year now. I find that if the pea gravel is deep enough it's insanely easy to keep clean. However, prior to a coupe months ago the girls bedded inside my home at night in a stall with wood shavings. Since moving them out full time to the gravel they have started with foot problems I have now covered the bulk of the pen in industrial chef mats over the pea gravel and it's working out brilliantly! Wish I'd done it from the start! All of the poop washes down through the holes and filters through the pea gravel. To cover the bulk of an 11'x11' pen was $125 in mats....worth every penny. Good luck!

What do you use for steps in your pool?

Following along... here is our immediate predicament: We need to leave town for a little less than a week tomorrow. Our neighbors will be feeding and watering the ducks, but we are still up in the air about the run. We *think* they will have access to the (hopefully) predator proof run while we are away--maybe even 24/7. Currently most of the run is just hardpack dirt. We were thinking of putting down a deep layer of shavings and maybe hay in the run before we left. Then we would plan to rake all that out when we return and compost it so that we could do whatever we are going to do for the permanent run. Thoughts? Should we add in some peat moss? Anything else?

Details: Run is 12x8 and partially covered. We have seven 6 week old silver Appleyard ducklings.

I don't use steps, my girls don't need them. I have those paver bricks around the pool and that suffices....but they rarely use them. They just kind of climb in. I will say, having pea gravel under the mats makes for amazing filtering of the poop when hosed off. It sinks right down into the gravel and away from the girls' feet. Also, the pen is never stinky!

Back
Top Bottom