Duck Run Idea?

SammyKay

Chirping
Jan 4, 2024
So, I'm on a bit of a budget and I want to make a duck run that's both cost effective and also good at keeping predators out. We have lots of racoons in my woods so those are the main issue. (I don't have ducks right now but I'm planning ahead for when the babies hatch :D ).

I had thought about using something like this as a base to work off of. I like the size and the idea of having a door I could walk into and sit with the duckies! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BV1ZXZW...d=2SVB6BV0Q3RBM&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_ys_dp_it

The main issue people seem to be having with it is that the wire is fairly weak. So I'm thinking I could strengthen it by wrapping everything in some hardware cloth maybe? For the roof I was thinking about adding clear acrylic panels. Any other ideas? Oh and how should I go about keeping things from digging underneath?
Thanks!

Depending on how handy you are, maybe what I used would work. I brought an old frame for a portable garage. The cover had ripped and the people were happy to get rid of the metal frame. I attached one end of this to the duck coop. I bought an old door from a re-cycle place which I installed on one side. Good fencing is your best investment to keep predators out. To keep diggers out, you need to make sure your fencing goes into the ground as an apron. I also covered the top and one side with tarp to protect against rain, snow and wind.

Depending on how handy you are, maybe what I used would work. I brought an old frame for a portable garage. The cover had ripped and the people were happy to get rid of the metal frame. I attached one end of this to the duck coop. I bought an old door from a re-cycle place which I installed on one side. Good fencing is your best investment to keep predators out. To keep diggers out, you need to make sure your fencing goes into the ground as an apron. I also covered the top and one side with tarp to protect against rain, snow and wind.
Would it work if I added a skirt without burying it like this? Maybe putting some heavy rocks over it?
a59a4b48ca88869fc0c2f8380824da53.jpg

And for the duck house/coop I was thinking about using a dog house like this and adding a door on it to put inside the metal fence area.
Screenshot_20240105-110113_Gallery.jpg

how many ducks will you have? they need at least 4 sq feet each in their coop. and they need 1 sq foot of ventilation per duck. the ventilation should be openings that are at least a couple feet higher than the ducks heads, and are covered with 1/2 inch hardware cloth ( i do 2 layers if it in mine, one stapled to the inside, and one stapled to the outside and covered around the edges with little wood frame pieces)
I’m not sure a little doghouse like that ( even if they label it as extra large )
? is big enough to make those windows and hold more than maybe two or three ducks?

how many ducks will you have? they need at least 4 sq feet each in their coop. and they need 1 sq foot of ventilation per duck. the ventilation should be openings that are at least a couple feet higher than the ducks heads, and are covered with 1/2 inch hardware cloth ( i do 2 layers if it in mine, one stapled to the inside, and one stapled to the outside and covered around the edges with little wood frame pieces)
I’m not sure a little doghouse like that ( even if they label it as extra large )
? is big enough to make those windows and hold more than maybe two or three ducks?
I'll only be keeping 2 ducks! More as companions. Both drakes preferably (depending how many I end up hatching haha). I'll see if I can maybe either build one that's taller (I'm not the most handy person) or find one taller 🤔
My plan is having them outside for most of the day and come inside the house during the evening/night. But I want to make sure in the event I'm not able to have them sleep in my room that they can sleep outside securely. But I guess we'll see how it all goes.

Back
Top Bottom