Duck safe bug repellent/insecticide?

Saigey

Songster
Jun 16, 2019
Alabama, USA
I've found the only real effective predator deterrent is my physical presence within arms' reach of my little ducks, but I had to be productive, so I've been doing mild landscaping and working on gardens while the ducks find all the earthworms. HOWEVER- apparently I am a magnet for ants, fire ants, spiders, carpenter ants, red carpenter ants, mosquitoes, and anything else that can bite me. I've tried thick socks and shoes in 90 degree heat, and this just gives the bugs a way to bite me in a confined space. Antihistamines, steroids (oral and topical), baking soda, oatmeal, meat tenderizer, tea bags, essential oils, ice, lancing the bites, elevating my feet- nothing helps. I have some spray that is pet safe that I use on ant beds, but I keep the ducks clear of those areas for a few days after I spray, just in case. I've started using citronella based elastic bracelets around my ankles and DEET free bug spray on my feet and legs, even though it makes me nervous that the ducks will come in contact with it, and I think it just angers the bugs. Is there any way around this outside of a bee keeper suit or setting the yard aflame? (Kidding, I would not actually light my yard on fire. Just the ants.)

Attachments

• IMG_20200616_210537.jpg
    IMG_20200616_210537.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 121
  • 20200614_185452.jpg
    20200614_185452.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 55
I
Premethrin 10, from tractor supply. Works real good on every bug. Use it on in and around coops. Safe if mixed correctly. View attachment 2224888
Need to go there tomorrow. Will grab some. I heard about orange oil being a thing, but I know ducks and citrus don't go together, so no orange oil. Today I wore my big yard boots, and not only did a variety of ant types attack me (hopefully no spiders), a few managed to get inside my left boot, AND got inside my sock. Meanwhile, I got bitten on the back of my right thigh, right up near my booty (it's an unmistakable fire ant pain there) my left hand, and my other foot. I'd like to blow them all up with fireworks at this point.

I
Need to go there tomorrow. Will grab some. I heard about orange oil being a thing, but I know ducks and citrus don't go together, so no orange oil. Today I wore my big yard boots, and not only did a variety of ant types attack me (hopefully no spiders), a few managed to get inside my left boot, AND got inside my sock. Meanwhile, I got bitten on the back of my right thigh, right up near my booty (it's an unmistakable fire ant pain there) my left hand, and my other foot. I'd like to blow them all up with fireworks at this point.
Ouch! Fire ants are the worst. I hope you wipe them out.

Yep. My mom used to put it on bee stings and I finally looked it up.
An enzyme in meat tenderizer called papain is also believed to help break down the protein that causes pain and itching.
Howdy, while Im not quite sure about meat tenderizer for insecticide, I am quite certain about the pain relief it provides to certain stings. Any enzyme or protein-based sting venom will be mitigated by meat tenderizer. Coming from Florida, mom had it in the beach bag every time for those occasional encounters with jelly fish in the Gulf. Wet the area, sprinkle on, wait a minute and back in business.

I totally get your concern about using bug spray around your ducks. They're such delicate creatures. Have you considered trying some natural alternatives to keep the bugs at bay? I've heard that planting certain herbs like basil, mint, and lavender around your garden can help repel insects. Plus, they'll add a nice fragrance to your outdoor space!

Barox based ant killers work well. If in liquid form, watch your ducks at 1st to see that they don't eat it. Even if they do ingest some while you're not watching, it'll make 'em sick not kill 'em. Generally critters leave stuff that make 'em sick alone. Neither my ducks nor my cats show any interest in the little water bottle caps. It does work slowly, may take 2 weeks, yet gets the queen and most ants down in the ground nest. If you're determined and persist for 2-3 weeks, you can knock down your fire ant population for several years. I've bought Terro by the case, much less costly that way, and used around our garden. (Tends to dry out then ants won't drink it; dilute stuff with water. Don't place in ants' path, but next to their path.) When I was a kid, you could get a washing detergent named Borax that was mostly ... Borax. 50 yrs later, 20 mule borax is still sold at Walmart and everywhere. If it's used in toothpaste, and no one has sued companies into oblivion cause a baby ate a sample off the floor then died from it, (won't they eat about anything on the floor?) it just might be safe for ducks.

https://www.terro.com/articles/using-borax-around-children-and-pets

Permethrin is your go to multi-bug killer. Cattle are run thru tanks of diluted permethrin to keep parasites at bay. The powder kills ants when it gets on their legs/feet, not safe for cats as they bath their feet. Liquid works well on walls and ceilings. Keep it off stuff ducks may eat and don't let 'em have contact with it when wet. (Always get to know the pamphlets that come with the pesticide.)

You have a real incentive to solve your bug bite problems, be great if you followed up and let us know what worked. Best to ya!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom