DUCK SEIZURES?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thechickenflock, Sep 25, 2014.

1. thechickenflock

thechickenflock Chillin' With My Peeps

For the past 2 days one of my free range ducks has been acting off. Getting lost, wandering off from the others, not eating or drinking, she is 12 weeks old. Today she is having what looks like seizures and she is very weak. Please help!

2. Frizzlett98

Frizzlett98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
  3. Frizzlett98

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  5. thechickenflock

I found a exotic animals vet[​IMG] and managed to get in a few hours ago, it turns out she got botulism from eating too much dirt (AKA Being a duck)[​IMG] It is also somewhat common apparently. The symptoms of botulism ares not eating and drinking, and loss of muscle control, which is what caused the twitching and flailing about[​IMG], the eye discharge was likely from something getting in the eye while flailing[​IMG]. Long story short she is now on antibiotics and is getting fed macaw food through a feeding tube twice a day[​IMG]. Only 12 weeks old and with feed and everything else she has cost me almost $120[​IMG]. She better start laying to earn her keep soon[​IMG] .

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If there are any mud puddles around that have gotten particularly icky, or dead animals or plant material, those are places that are very likely to have botulism organisms. Might want to scout around and get rid of something like that, to keep it from happening again.

I hope she recovers swiftly and well.

1 person likes this.
  7. thechickenflock

Okay, how does one dispose of a dead duck?

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sorry you lost her. I would bury her and place several heavy stones on top at least for several weeks.

9. Frizzlett98

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    Did you really lose her?!

10. thechickenflock

Yes, Sadly [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by