1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck Setting eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by horseemom, Jul 29, 2008.

1. horseemom

horseemom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2008
    Vancouver Island CANADA
    Well my Pekin has made a lovely nest in a bush, very well made if I do say so myself. She has about 12 eggs in there! I thought I would let her hatch these, as I was told Pekins don't sit and I am a manure disturber and want to prove 'em wrong.

She would sit all day then in the evening leave for an hour or more to eat, swim, etc. During a break the dog got to the nest and ate an egg (no obvious duckling yet! Thank lord!)

She was so upset and has not left the nest that I know of. How long will they sit? I put food and water closer to her, today I put food on the edge of the nest. Even Daddy duck is standing guard, though he came down for a swim and snack.

I worry, she will starve to death? Over protective mom, I know. But what is normal? Never let her sit before. I figure she is about 1 week in maybe a bit more. Not sure if my nerves can take it! [​IMG]

2. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    I would maybe put some food and water close by her, so she doesn't have to go too far. I have a mama duck setting now-- I thought she wasn't going to set, so I took all the eggs but 1 out of her nest:rolleyes::mad: now she's sitting on 2-- oh, well, 2 little duckies are better than none!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by