Duck Setting eggs

horseemom

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Vancouver Island CANADA
Well my Pekin has made a lovely nest in a bush, very well made if I do say so myself. She has about 12 eggs in there! I thought I would let her hatch these, as I was told Pekins don't sit and I am a manure disturber and want to prove 'em wrong.

She would sit all day then in the evening leave for an hour or more to eat, swim, etc. During a break the dog got to the nest and ate an egg (no obvious duckling yet! Thank lord!)

She was so upset and has not left the nest that I know of. How long will they sit? I put food and water closer to her, today I put food on the edge of the nest. Even Daddy duck is standing guard, though he came down for a swim and snack.

I worry, she will starve to death? Over protective mom, I know. But what is normal? Never let her sit before. I figure she is about 1 week in maybe a bit more. Not sure if my nerves can take it!
hmm.png

I would maybe put some food and water close by her, so she doesn't have to go too far. I have a mama duck setting now-- I thought she wasn't going to set, so I took all the eggs but 1 out of her nest:rolleyes::mad: now she's sitting on 2-- oh, well, 2 little duckies are better than none!

Back
Top Bottom