Duck Setup - What has been your best setup?

Once they're at least 2-3 months old it's fine to go without food and water at night - I always gradually get them used to it - removing food first. They always need water if they have food available. I second what Miss Lydia said about hardware cloth and researching how to make it predator proof for the dangers in your area. We enclosed our run with hardware cloth going under concrete blocks that are buried. They also an area fully enclosed by wood that they sleep in - it has windows for ventilation and I can partially block them with plastic in the winter to keep warmth in. Ducks sure do need somewhere to swim and keep clean. It's part of the challenge of keeping ducks - it's a lot of work as their ponds need continual cleaning, but they're waterfowl and that's what they're made for and they love! Good luck with your babies!

Once they're at least 2-3 months old it's fine to go without food and water at night - I always gradually get them used to it - removing food first. They always need water if they have food available. I second what Miss Lydia said about hardware cloth and researching how to make it predator proof for the dangers in your area. We enclosed our run with hardware cloth going under concrete blocks that are buried. They also an area fully enclosed by wood that they sleep in - it has windows for ventilation and I can partially block them with plastic in the winter to keep warmth in. Ducks sure do need somewhere to swim and keep clean. It's part of the challenge of keeping ducks - it's a lot of work as their ponds need continual cleaning, but they're waterfowl and that's what they're made for and they love! Good luck with your babies!
Thank you, we've got the hardware cloth covered and will be predator proof, buried cloth and rocks/slate around the edges.
We have a bath that husband is turning into a duck pond, he's making it so I can use the drained water on the garden.

Sounds like you are doing well with your predator proofing.

I am in the process of converting a clawfoot tub for the ducks. I am so tired of emptying and refilling kiddie pools. I have built a ramp and a platform that fits against the ramp. Now, I need to actually connect the two and attach a step that will fit below the platform so the ducks can safely step in and out.

Best wishes on your husband's project. I am sure he will finish his before I finish mine!

Sounds like you are doing well with your predator proofing.

I am in the process of converting a clawfoot tub for the ducks. I am so tired of emptying and refilling kiddie pools. I have built a ramp and a platform that fits against the ramp. Now, I need to actually connect the two and attach a step that will fit below the platform so the ducks can safely step in and out.

Best wishes on your husband's project. I am sure he will finish his before I finish mine!

I'm not sure he will but he is on a push to get it done before these little ducklings and big ducklings!

He's built a step in the bath, he did cut it down a bit too which I didn't want but I'm not going to complain. We haven't worked out the up part, we were thinking about a rockery of some kind but not sure if this would be too steep?

These pictures were from a few days ago, it's all from pallets. I dont think the bath is deep enough now but we can get another old bath if we need to and just put the frame over it. It's only about a foot deep now.

Attachments

• IMG-20220716-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20220716-WA0004.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-20220716-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20220716-WA0003.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 5
Great idea to use the drained water on the garden!

As we are on a water meter it costs a fortune to water the garden, we've got water butts, one for the plants and one for the chickens but we've had no rain for a few weeks now.

I emptied the ducklings pool tonight by using the watering can and watering the plants with it.

I'm trying to figure a way to use our grey water too. We use eco friendly washing liquid/power and are moving to soap only washing hair and body so the water will be safe for the plants.

The water meter is a painful bill!

I'd been trying to figure out what to use for the step. I finally settled on half of a plastic cat litter container lid. I use really large cat litter containers as nest boxes because they are easy to clean; when I cut off the hinged part of the lid, there is one straight edge and one slightly curved. It's wide enough that even my clumsy geese should be able to use it.

At least, that's how I think it will turn out if I just DO IT! But, I have guys working on my house right now, and by the time they leave for the day, it's too darned hot for me to want to work outside. I just saw on the news that England is suffering with possible record high heat. Enough already for all of us!

Kudos for trying to use and reuse water as smartly as possible. We all should!

I'd been trying to figure out what to use for the step. I finally settled on half of a plastic cat litter container lid. I use really large cat litter containers as nest boxes because they are easy to clean; when I cut off the hinged part of the lid, there is one straight edge and one slightly curved. It's wide enough that even my clumsy geese should be able to use it.

At least, that's how I think it will turn out if I just DO IT! But, I have guys working on my house right now, and by the time they leave for the day, it's too darned hot for me to want to work outside. I just saw on the news that England is suffering with possible record high heat. Enough already for all of us!

Kudos for trying to use and reuse water as smartly as possible. We all should!

I love the repurposing!

Gotta save that water every drop is precious.

Back
Top Bottom