Duck severely bolding around the eye

EmmaSta

Hatching
Jun 29, 2021
Hello everyone!
I am new at raising ducks and am in need of help!
One of my pekin duck, Barry, had what seems like to be an eye infection a few weeks back. After cleaning it daily, with no improvement on this side and things getting worse (he lost almost all his feathers above his bill in one afternoon) I took him to the vet. The vet here doesn't know much about ducks unfortunately but we did agree to treat it as an eye infection. He got antibiotics and an ointment to clean his eyes. Very quickly I could see a huge improvement. His eyes are all clear and his feathers above his bill grew back in just 3 days. But now he is completely bold around his eyes, not just a few feathers missing. And I could see today that he is also missing feathers on one spot close to one of his legs. I read a lot about mites on this website, but wouldn't my other ducks be also affected if it was due to mites?
They all have access to a pond with running water and a filtering system. And I fill up a huge pool with water in their pen, water that I Change every day.
Help! I don't know what to do and I am so worried!
Emma

Hi Emma can you post some pictures of Barry? it would be nice to see what your seeing. What does completely bolding mean by the way? bald?
If you had mites most likely all would be affected. Sounds like they have plenty of fresh water to bathe in which usually keeps the mites off of waterfowl.
If you can put up some pics that would help a lot. Also how old is Barry?What do you feed? what type of bedding are you using just anything in general you can think of.

:welcome

Back
Top Bottom