1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck sitting on the ground out of nowhere?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Fleecy718, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Fleecy718

Fleecy718 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    One of my runners, Honey, was outside her pen with the other today and I noticed that out of nowhere she would sit completely down for about 15 seconds, and dabble under the leaves a little, then get up like nothing happened. I'd never seen this before. I was thinking she's egg bound too soon, maybe? I live in Virginia and its been remarkably warm this past week. Could she have mistaken it for spring?

It's definitely not like any of my runners to do that.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Every now and then I see a runner or buff do that. So far, it hasn't seemed to be a problem.

To look more closely, consider bringing her in for a lukewarm bath she can float in. Has she already laid any eggs?

My ducks are getting spring-hormonal already, which is not that unusual, even in cold weather. There are so many factors involved including light, temperature, and diet. It's not the result of rigid testing, but it seems that the more greens the ducks get, the more they lay. That's just in general. It is not a case of salad one day means eggs the next. [​IMG]

Romy has been looking for nesting spots, making her little "where's my nest?" noise, several runners have been looking around and declaring certain spots in the garden as good nesting sites (there is a certain noise they make), and Bean hopped on Romy today.

And after tomorrow, the weather will be below freezing again for a while.

3. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Completely normal, my ducks do it all the time, especially around this time of year when they're deprived of bathing water (it would freeze where we live).

4. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    My Indian Runner has been doing that lately too! Except its 0 - 15 degrees over here. I figured she was just trying to warm her feet up. :)

5. petlove

petlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2008
    Skiatook, OK
    Her feet are probably cold and she is keeping them warm. I have a duck doing that as well. Also, my hens will change standing on one foot at a time. They do this in the early morning. Here, at least, it has been in the teens and twenties in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by