Duck Space Issue

Northeastdude

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
I have about 2 acres. But I want to keep waterfowl in about .55 acres fenced in to protect from predators. Should I keep ducks and geese or just ducks?

What do you think is an adequate space for keeping both and how many to keep?

Should I just stick with ducks?

Thanks for reading this.

I was thinking maybe 4 pilgrim geese and 12 appleyard ducks.

Or if I just keep ducks, 12 appleyards

Just geese- 6 or 4 sexed pilgrim geese.

I hope someone answers you... I'm interested too. I'm in the North East and I need to keep ducks/geese in a much smaller area than I actually have to protect form predators. Good luck!

Well I'm thinking of getting 20 silver appleyard ducks. Hopefully next spring I can cull it down to about 12. And make some freezer buddies. I'm buying them unsexed. From what I read they don't seem to be a loud breed of duck. Calm is most common description I've read.

The pilgrim geese seem quiet but I don't want goose logs in my backyard. They wet duck poop will disintegrate quicker. I think they occasional honking will draw more attention than quacks.

I don't want geese going nuts when my dad mows the lawn in the spring or getting charged at during breeding season.

I would get muscovies but I'm really enchanted by the mallard derived breeds.

Quote:
What is an Appleyard duck? Pictures?

This is a silver appleyard duck and drake.

Duck-Silver-appleyard.jpg

I don't know about the noise level. That is the deciding factor for me.

I would like some input from people that raise them as well. I want to know the drake:duck ratio too.

http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/waterfowl/silverappleyard.html

Alot of good info here. They seem like great layers, big meat birds, and are described as calm.

I'm not sure as to the origins of the name. Perhaps it is a place loved by the breeder? I don't know. The breed was developed in England.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom