Duck Stealing Eggs???? Say It Ain't So.

I have a long line of windows in my kitchen and dining room so I can see down to the barn and duck pens. I have never found eggs and scratched my head other than some chicken eggs in a duck coop but not the Muscovy coop. And my chickens will often be wandering around and decide the ducks have a nifty spot for laying so they scoot right in and come out later thinking they got one over on mama. Ha! I see them go in sometimes and know most of my girls' eggs.
Anyhow, I swear I have looked up and saw ducks walking around with something in their mouths but naturally when I get out of the house and down there by going round about because of fencing then they are no longer in sight and I can't find them. However, if I step out onto the deck then I may can zoom in enough to catch one of the buggers now that I know I am not the only one that has seen this oddity.

I hope I can get a photo! It would be awesome to share! I hope to see one from someone else, too!

I had a duck steal an egg from a chicken that was sitting on some duck eggs. I didn't see her do it, but I know because the chicken had been sitting for about 3 weeks, and the others I collected daily. I sent some of the eggs I was collecting to a gal in CA, and it hatched in ONE WEEK! It came from the chicken's nest........ That means the duck had to roll the egg up a hill, around a tree stump, and into her nest! Poor thing must have really wanted some babies of her own. And an Indian runner at that!

Back
Top Bottom