Duck struggles to walk

View attachment 3842700
right not she is just laying down so I don’t want to mess with her to get her up and for some reason it won’t let me post a video, so I am just uploading a picture of what was happening earlier when she would try to walk

Could she have gotten into some kind of toxin? plant, stagnant water , something dead? moldy feed?
What vitamins are you giving her?
Can she get to food and water? I'd place her in a small area and place food and water where she can get to it. How does her poop look
yes i have food and water in front of her, the vitamins are b12, vertex, and nutridense. I ordered some activated charcoal just in case she got in something toxic, that should be here tomorrow, hopefully that will be soon enough because i don’t see it in any stores. she seems to be breathing hard.

yes i have food and water in front of her, the vitamins are b12, vertex, and nutridense. I ordered some activated charcoal just in case she got in something toxic, that should be here tomorrow, hopefully that will be soon enough because i don’t see it in any stores. she seems to be breathing hard.she has pooped at least twice sense i’ve been down here and it has been clear with a little darker green in it

Oh dear, she is in trouble. Can you bring her into the house and care for her until she has recovered? Looking after her in a deep plastic tote or a dog crate is good. She will need puppy pads and a bowl of food and a tub of water in with her.

What is her maintenance feed? Duck pellets? If she is on layer feed or all flock, she will need extra niacin. We recommend durvet high-level Vit B complex, 1ml a day soaked into a few mealworms once a duck has symptoms. Your duck may not be niacin deficient, but it is worth trying.

If she is eating and drinking, just keep her in a quiet place. I use my bathroom as a sickbay. I have a deep tote (it's actually my brooder) that fits into the bathtub. But a big cardboard box will work temporarily

Let us know if there are any developments

Last edited:
yes i have food and water in front of her, the vitamins are b12, vertex, and nutridense. I ordered some activated charcoal just in case she got in something toxic, that should be here tomorrow, hopefully that will be soon enough because i don’t see it in any stores. she seems to be breathing hard.
Instead of Vitamin B12 she should be on Liquid B complex like @ruthhope mentioned. The liquid B complex is usually sold at TSC but other feed store may have it. It will say injectable but we use it orally for niacin deficiency. And I hope you'll pick her up check her over real good even for a snake bite. Then place her were she'll be safe while you treat her.

thank yall! she is in our shop right now so she is pretty secure and i have been down here with her all day, she doesn’t seem to be breathing as hard and i did go get some epson salt and have been giving that to her. She still doesn’t want to eat so I read about cracking an egg into her water to get her some protein and she has been drinking that as well as the vitamin water. Her legs still don’t work some times but hopefully i’ll see improvement in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom