Duck swallowed salamander/lizard

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by arrowti, Oct 2, 2016.

1. arrowti

arrowti Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2014
    Maine
    I saw our female duck had something in her bill and was trying to eat it and she dropped it once and I saw it was a rather big (for around here anyway, in Maine) salamander/lizard that I think was black with yellow spots - my best guess. I'm assuming it's a spotted salamander.

Anyway, she picked it back up and swallowed it whole!

I'm assuming since salamander's, lizards, newts, and other reptiles/amphibians are a part of a duck's diet that she should be okay, but I know all salamander's have poisonous skin and I'm just wondering if there's any possibility of her getting sick?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Keep an eye on her. I have seen my ducks eat salamanders too and so far they have not gotten sick

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Have no worries!....Mine eat them all summer long with zero issues...They eat frogs and once found a nest of baby mice and ate those too!

Cheers!

4. arrowti

arrowti Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2014
    Maine
    Yep she's all good! Took a nice long nap after her feast... still can't believe she swallowed that huge salamander in one gulp! Not only huge, but still alive and squirming... blech! Can imagine it squirming in her tummy too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by