duck that doesn't make a sound

ccarpenter3

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 24, 2013
I bought three ducks yesterday from an auction. One is a Indian runner duckling with down yet that chirps a lot and loudly. I am thinking this is a girl?? The other two I'm not sure of breed but one doesn't make any sound. No peep or quack or anything. Why is this? Both are supposed to be females.
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Could be stress. Is the breathing, eating, drinking, pooping okay?

How are they housed? I would try to give them as low stress environment as possible. Safe, secure, no chilly drafts (I don't know what part of the world you are in), fresh water 24/7, appropriate feed, nice bedding. Also, ducklings at that age may be very easily panicked, so approaching them slowly, talking gently, avoiding hovering over them or cornering them helps loads.

Finding healthy treats they like will also help quite a bit. Make sure they get a little bit of chick grit for a few days before giving them anything other than bagged feed - so they can "chew."

Yea it could be stress but I had a lot of indian runner ducks and the two males were always very quiet but he 8 female were fairly loud.

I have them in the coop with the chickens. I made a separate area for them until they get used to their new home. Outside have fence area for just them with a pet pool. I live in Akron ohio. Today i've had them two days. Eating and stuff seems to be ok. My coop is a12x24 metal building I bought new for a coop a couple years ago with lots of straw for bedding. I'll add some chick grit to their food. I have some from my chicks this spring. I'm feeding baged crumble marked for chicks and ducks up to10 wks of age. how long should I keep them confined before I can let them just free range?.. These are my first ducks. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom